Calculating Magnetic Force on an Object in a Solenoid?

In summary, calculating the magnetic force on a magnetic ball within a solenoid with current passing through it depends on the material of the ball and the inclusion of a highly permeable core. If the ball is made of a ferromagnetic material, the force will be increased. If an iron core is fully inserted into the solenoid, the equilibrium position and behavior when the solenoid is held vertically can be determined. When the current is turned off, the force will decrease. Finally, the force can be calculated using the known permeability and magnetic field.
Integrated
Let's say I have a magnetic ball within a solenoid that has current passing through it. How would I calculate the magnetic force on the ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a solenoid the internal field is constant: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

The force on the ball depends upon the material (it's magnetic permeability) - do you mean that it is a ferromagnetic material (soft iron, iron nickel, etc), or that the ball is an actual magnet?

Note that the magnetic field inside the solenoid can be vastly increased by including a highly permeable core:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/elemag.html

What would happen if an iron core were fully inserted into the solenoid? What is the equilibrium position?

Hold the solenoid vertically - what would happen?

Here is an easy one: if the current is turned off, what happens?

Start with the iron core at rest just below the solenoid, then throw the switch to start the current. What happens?

See this lecture for "the force produced by a magnetic field".

It'll have to be an air core (since something will be inside it) and inside will be a Neodymium N48 nickel-plated quarter-inch diameter ball, so it's an actual magnet.

Then if you've worked through the material posted, and the questions ... you should be good!

I apologize if I missed something, but I can't find what I need in those articles. I'm looking for how to calculate the force, in Newtons, on an object with known permeability within the solenoid caused by the known magnetic field. I greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

1. What is a solenoid and how does it create a magnetic force?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that carries an electric current. When an electric current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the solenoid. The magnetic field lines run through the center of the coil and loop around the outside, creating a strong electromagnetic force.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic force in a solenoid change with the number of turns in the coil?

The strength of the magnetic force in a solenoid is directly proportional to the number of turns in the coil. This means that the more turns there are, the stronger the magnetic force will be. Doubling the number of turns in the coil will double the strength of the magnetic force.

3. Can the direction of the magnetic force in a solenoid be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic force in a solenoid can be changed by reversing the direction of the electric current flowing through the coil. This will also reverse the direction of the magnetic field lines, causing the magnetic force to act in the opposite direction.

4. How does the diameter of the solenoid affect the magnetic force?

The diameter of the solenoid does not have a significant effect on the magnetic force. As long as the coil is tightly wound, the shape of the solenoid does not affect the strength of the magnetic field. However, a larger diameter may allow for more turns in the coil, resulting in a stronger magnetic force.

5. What are some practical applications of the magnetic force in a solenoid?

The magnetic force in a solenoid is used in a variety of applications, such as in motors, generators, speakers, and magnetic locks. It is also used in medical equipment like MRI machines and in industrial applications for lifting heavy objects. Solenoids are also commonly used in electronic devices like doorbells and washing machines.