Magnetic force is a function of position?

In summary, magnetic forces are indeed functions of position and time, as well as the velocity of the charged particle or current element. This is described by the Lorentz force, F = qv x B, where both velocity v and magnetic field B depend on spatial coordinates and time. However, in quantum mechanics, all types of forces can be written as -∂V/∂x, except for magnetic forces. It is also worth noting that the Biot-Savart Law is often used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a configuration of currents.
neelakash
Sir,can you tell me if magnetic forces are function of
position?Possibly,I read it somewhere in internet forums that magnetic
forces are functions of velocity.I have read in your QM book's first
page that---in microscopic level all type of force may be written as
-∂V/∂x...except magnetic forces.
Normally,forces are functions of position,velocity and time...I want
to know if the magnetic forces can be represented as function of
position only.I mean can we have a magnetic force depending on only
(x,y,z) and NOT their higher derivatives as well?
Please let me know.Your help will be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Please refer to the Biot-Savart Law.

In addition, please do not start your post with "Sir". We have many women on this forum who are either physicists, or interested in physics, who could have answered your question.

Zz.

The magnetic field produced by a configuration of currents depends on position. It also depends on time if the currents vary with time.

The magnetic force that this field produces on a moving charge or current element therefore depends on position and time as described above, and on the velocity (b0th magnitude and direction) of the moving charge, or magnitude and direction of the current element.

neelakash said:
Sir,can you tell me if magnetic forces are function of
position?Possibly,I read it somewhere in internet forums that magnetic
forces are functions of velocity.I have read in your QM book's first
page that---in microscopic level all type of force may be written as
-∂V/∂x...except magnetic forces.
That's strange, you are asking about classical physics (ie the Lorentz force) yet you have been reading in a QM book ?

Your answer is this : the force exerted by a mangetic field B on a charged (q) particle is called the Lorentz force F = qv x B. The x means vector product ! Both velocity v (of the charged particle) and B depend on coordinates t (time), x,y and z, by definition. The force F therefore indeed depends on spatial coordinates and time t.

marlon

Last edited:

What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the interactions between magnetic materials. It is similar to the force of gravity, but instead of attracting or repelling objects based on their mass, it attracts or repels objects based on their magnetic properties.

How is magnetic force related to position?

Magnetic force is a function of position, meaning that it depends on the distance and orientation between two magnetic objects. The strength of the force decreases as the distance between the objects increases, and it also varies depending on the angle between their magnetic fields.

What factors affect the strength of magnetic force?

The strength of magnetic force is affected by several factors, including the distance between the objects, the magnetic properties of the objects, and the orientation of their magnetic fields. Other factors such as external magnetic fields and the presence of other materials can also impact the strength of magnetic force.

Can magnetic force be attractive and repulsive?

Yes, magnetic force can be both attractive and repulsive. Objects with opposite magnetic poles (north and south) will attract each other, while objects with the same magnetic poles will repel each other. This is similar to how positive and negative charges behave in electrical forces.

How is magnetic force used in everyday life?

Magnetic force has many practical applications in everyday life. Some common examples include the use of magnets in speakers, motors, and generators, as well as in credit cards, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. It also plays a crucial role in Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of compass needles.