Magnetic Force of a copper wire

In summary, the problem involves calculating the required current flow in a suspended copper wire that is experiencing magnetic forces from two parallel wires below it. The force between two parallel wires is given by F = u0I1I2l2/(2*pi*d), where u0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, l2 is the length of the wire, and d is the distance between the wires. The force of the magnetic field can be resolved into two components, one perpendicular to the wire and one parallel to the wire. The perpendicular component, 2*F*cos30, is responsible for the upward force on the suspended wire. The weight per unit length of the wire
Kandycat

Homework Statement

The top wire is 1.00 mm diameter copper wire and is suspended in air due to the two magnetic forces from the bottom two wires. The current flow through the two bottom wires is 95 A in each. Calculate the required current flow in the suspended wire.

2u3v8sm.jpg

Homework Equations

Force between two parallel wires is
F2= u0I1I2l2/(2*pi*d)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fm = Fnp
Fm = u0*95 A * 95 A * l2/(2*pi* .038 m)

But they do give me length...

Physics news on Phys.org
Kandycat said:

Homework Statement

The top wire is 1.00 mm diameter copper wire and is suspended in air due to the two magnetic forces from the bottom two wires. The current flow through the two bottom wires is 95 A in each. Calculate the required current flow in the suspended wire.

2u3v8sm.jpg

Homework Equations

Force between two parallel wires is
F2= u0I1I2l2/(2*pi*d)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fm = Fnp
Fm = u0*95 A * 95 A * l2/(2*pi* .038 m)

But they do give me length...

They do or do not give you length? (You don't need it.)

But you do need to develop the weight per unit length of the top wire from the volume of the copper and its density. m*g = ρ*v*g per unit length.

The force of the B field however is a vector that you need to resolve into the distances and angles from the 2 wires below that are supporting it.

Figure the angle to the vertical is 30° for an equilateral triangle in this configuration, so vertically you will have 2*F*cos30° as your upward force from the magnetic field where F is determined by the Force relationship for 2 || wires.

So are you saying that 2*F*cos30 = ρ*v*g?

Kandycat said:
So are you saying that 2*F*cos30 = ρ*v*g?

After a fashion I suppose, taking care to get the unit length accounted for.

You should draw out the vectors and satisfy yourself that the components add in this way.

1. What is meant by the magnetic force of a copper wire?

The magnetic force of a copper wire refers to the force that is exerted by a magnetic field on a charged particle moving through the wire.

2. How is a copper wire able to produce a magnetic force?

When an electric current flows through a copper wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire, which in turn can exert a force on other charged particles.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force in a copper wire?

The strength of the magnetic force in a copper wire depends on the magnitude of the electric current, the length of the wire, and the strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic force in a copper wire be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic force in a copper wire can be changed by changing the direction of the electric current or by reversing the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of the magnetic force in a copper wire?

The magnetic force in a copper wire is used in various technologies, such as motors, generators, and electromagnets. It is also used in medical devices like MRI machines and in particle accelerators for scientific research.