Magnetic Levitation for Fragrance Dispenser | Product Design

In summary: North/South) will determine the frequency of the vibrations in the coil. If the spacing is wrong, the vibrations will be out of tune and cause instability. However, if the spacing is correct, the magnets will oscillate at a specific frequency and the vibrations of the coil will cause the magnets to remain in the same place. This is a variant of Earnshaw's theorem. No matter how you arrange magnets, there will always be some direction of force on the magnets, apart from a few specific points - but you can never place a magnet with infinite precision. The best you can do is getting close to such a point, and then keeping it there actively with variable electromagnets.
KC Kian Chong
Hi everyone, I'm a student who is currently majoring in product design. Therefore, pardon me for not having any physics knowledge but I'm really appreciate for your help ! I wanted to come out with a fragrance dispenser by using magnetic levitation. I've watched a lots of videos but I don't really understand the process of making.

Based on my understanding, all i need to do is put a huge magnet at the bottom then for the levitating part use a small magnet which is in a opposite pole.

So, my questions:
1. Can I use a random magnet ? Or is it the must to use the round huge magnet with a hole in the middle.
2. I found a product which is known as "FLYTE" can anyone explain to me how does the designer created the levitating effect ? If possible can someone please draw an exploded view for this product ? Here's the link of the product https://flyte.se/

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:
KC Kian Chong said:
1. Can I use a random magnet ? Or is it the must to use the round huge magnet with a hole in the middle.
A magnet is a magnet. It shouldn't need a hole in the middle.

KC Kian Chong said:
Based on my understanding, all i need to do is put a huge magnet at the bottom then for the levitating part use a small magnet which is in a opposite pole.
The small magnet will flip, and then get attracted by the big magnet.

Magnetic levitation will need one of those elements:
- active electromagnets controlling the position (the approach flyte is using)
- some point of contact of the levitated object (so it is not completely free)
- rotation of something, typically the levitated object
- superconductors
- strong permanent magnets and very exotic lightweight diamagnetic materials that can't carry any additional load
- strong electromagnets and diamagnetic materials

mfb said:
The small magnet will flip, and then get attracted by the big magnet.

Magnetic levitation will need one of those elements:
- active electromagnets controlling the position (the approach flyte is using)
- some point of contact of the levitated object (so it is not completely free)
- rotation of something, typically the levitated object
- superconductors
- strong permanent magnets and very exotic lightweight diamagnetic materials that can't carry any additional load
- strong electromagnets and diamagnetic materials

So I found this video I'm wondering is it the must to use electricity to stabilize the levitated object? Because I've watched another video which is dismantling the levitating speaker, the guy (who recorded) saying that the coil causes the levitated object to stay steady in the middle.

Comeback City said:
:welcome:

A magnet is a magnet. It shouldn't need a hole in the middle.

Okay ! Thanks for the feedback :)

KC Kian Chong said:
So I found this video I'm wondering is it the must to use electricity to stabilize the levitated object?
There is no stable configuration with static magnets. This is a variant of Earnshaw's theorem. No matter how you arrange magnets, there will always be some direction of force on the magnets, apart from a few specific points - but you can never place a magnet with infinite precision. The best you can do is getting close to such a point, and then keeping it there actively with variable electromagnets.

mfb said:
There is no stable configuration with static magnets. This is a variant of Earnshaw's theorem. No matter how you arrange magnets, there will always be some direction of force on the magnets, apart from a few specific points - but you can never place a magnet with infinite precision. The best you can do is getting close to such a point, and then keeping it there actively with variable electromagnets.
Alright ! Thanks for your feedback I think I will just get one existing product and dismantle it instead of making on my own haha

KC "I think I will just get one existing product and dismantle it instead of making on my own haha"

I would seriously urge you to carefully consider how you intend to present your completed project. I doubt if your instructor will be as gullible as you are implying.

I suggest you thoroughly document your efforts. With full credit to those whose work you are basing your project on. Then thoroughly document what you did to alter/modify/add extra value to the basic work. That the additional effort you put into it will earn your credit for your project. Whether or not it is successful.

Failure can be a useful tool . "I learned a thousand ways NOT to build a light Bulb!" Thomas Edison.

KC Kian Chong said:

So I found this video I'm wondering is it the must to use electricity to stabilize the levitated object? Because I've watched another video which is dismantling the levitating speaker, the guy (who recorded) saying that the coil causes the levitated object to stay steady in the middle.

With regards to your video: the spacing of the DC magnets which all have the same polar identities and the central levitating magnet are such that the weakest spot in the field is in the center and so that is the direction that the levitating magnet attempts to fall. (Remember like polls repel each other) As it falls towards the center it also reduces it's height above the field which then has a higher field strength. It would be possible to design a liquid pump that could be operating by increasing the total field strength. The sizes of each component must be carefully designed and the strength of the supporting magnets much be very close to identical. But then the question arises - why? Just because it's cool?

Thank you all for contributing here but since this is a somewhat old thread we will finally close it.

1. How does magnetic levitation work in a fragrance dispenser?

Magnetic levitation in a fragrance dispenser works by using magnets to suspend the fragrance bottle in mid-air. The magnets create an opposing force that balances with the weight of the bottle, allowing it to hover without any physical support.

2. What are the benefits of using magnetic levitation in a fragrance dispenser?

There are several benefits to using magnetic levitation in a fragrance dispenser. Firstly, it creates a visually stunning and unique design that adds a touch of elegance to any room. Secondly, it eliminates the need for a physical base or stand, saving space and allowing for more creative designs. Lastly, it reduces the risk of spills or accidents, as the bottle is securely suspended in the air.

3. Is magnetic levitation safe for use in a fragrance dispenser?

Yes, magnetic levitation is completely safe for use in a fragrance dispenser. The magnets used are carefully chosen and designed to create a secure and stable levitating effect. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper usage and maintenance to ensure safety.

4. Can any type of fragrance bottle be used with a magnetic levitation dispenser?

Most magnetic levitation fragrance dispensers are designed to accommodate standard-sized bottles. However, it is always best to check the product specifications to ensure compatibility before purchasing. Some dispensers may also come with a specially designed bottle that is optimized for magnetic levitation.

5. How does the fragrance get dispensed from a levitating bottle?

In most cases, the levitating bottle in a fragrance dispenser is not the actual dispenser. Instead, there is a smaller bottle or container hidden within the levitating one, which contains the fragrance liquid. The levitating bottle serves as a decorative cover, while a tube or nozzle connects it to the hidden bottle, allowing for easy dispensing of the fragrance.