Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Magnetic Levitation

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone, I'm a student who is currently majoring in product design. Therefore, pardon me for not having any physics knowledge but I'm really appreciate for your help ! I wanted to come out with a fragrance dispenser by using magnetic levitation. I've watched a lots of videos but I don't really understand the process of making.

Based on my understanding, all i need to do is put a huge magnet at the bottom then for the levitating part use a small magnet which is in a opposite pole.

So, my questions:
    1. Can I use a random magnet ? Or is it the must to use the round huge magnet with a hole in the middle.
    2. I found a product which is known as "FLYTE" can anyone explain to me how does the designer created the levitating effect ? If possible can someone please draw an exploded view for this product ? Here's the link of the product https://flyte.se/

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2017 #2
    :welcome:
    A magnet is a magnet. It shouldn't need a hole in the middle.

4. Mar 21, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The small magnet will flip, and then get attracted by the big magnet.

Magnetic levitation will need one of those elements:
    - active electromagnets controlling the position (the approach flyte is using)
    - some point of contact of the levitated object (so it is not completely free)
    - rotation of something, typically the levitated object
    - superconductors
    - strong permanent magnets and very exotic lightweight diamagnetic materials that can't carry any additional load
    - strong electromagnets and diamagnetic materials

5. Mar 21, 2017 #4

So I found this video i'm wondering is it the must to use electricity to stabilize the levitated object? Because I've watched another video which is dismantling the levitating speaker, the guy (who recorded) saying that the coil causes the levitated object to stay steady in the middle.

6. Mar 21, 2017 #5
    Okay ! Thanks for the feedback :)

7. Mar 21, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no stable configuration with static magnets. This is a variant of Earnshaw's theorem. No matter how you arrange magnets, there will always be some direction of force on the magnets, apart from a few specific points - but you can never place a magnet with infinite precision. The best you can do is getting close to such a point, and then keeping it there actively with variable electromagnets.

8. Mar 22, 2017 #7
    Alright ! Thanks for your feedback I think I will just get one existing product and dismantle it instead of making on my own haha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted