1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Moment

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    A small sphere is uniformly charged throughout its' volume and rotating with constant angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex]. Show it's magnetic moment is given by
    [itex]m=\frac{1}{5}Q \omega a^2[/itex]. the question doesn't say but i'm assuming a is the radius.

Anyway, so far I have:

[itex]m=\frac{1}{2} \int_V dV (\mathbf{r \wedge J})[/itex]

but [itex]\mathbf{J}= \rho \mathbf{v} = \rho \mathbf{\omega \wedge r}[/itex]

and so [itex]m=\frac{\rho}{2} \int_V r^2 \mathbf{\omega} - (\mathbf{r \cdot \omega})\mathbf{r}[/itex]

but i don't really know where to go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Choose a coordinate system and carry out the integration. The easiest choice is probably spherical coordinates, with omega pointing in the z-direction.

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    ok so [itex]\int (\mathbf{r \cdot \omega})\mathbf{r} dV=\int r \omega \cos{\theta} r^2 \sin{\theta} dr d \theta d \phi \frac{\mathbf{\hat{r}}}{r}=\omega \int_0^a r^2 dr \int_0^{\pi} \cos{\theta} \sin{\theta} d \theta \int_0^{2 \pi} d \phi \mathbf{\hat{r}}[/itex]
    giving
    [itex]\omega \frac{a^3}{3} 2 \pi \int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{2} \sin{2 \theta} d \theta \mathbf{\hat{r}}= \frac{2}{3} \pi a^3 \left[ -\frac{1}{4} \cos{\theta} \right]_0^{\pi} \mathbf{\hat{r}}[/itex]

which is

[itex]\omega \frac{a^3}{12} \pi (-[-1-1])=\frac{\omega \pi a^3}{6} \mathbf{\hat{r}}[/itex]

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4
    and the first integral is [itex]\omega \int_0^a r^4 dr \int_0^{\pi} \sin{\theta} d \theta \int_0^{2 \pi} d \phi \mathfb{\hat{z}}=\omega \frac{2a^5}{5} 2 \pi \mathbf{\hat{z}}=\frac{4 \omega \pi a^5}{5} \mathbf{\hat{z}} [/itex]

6. Feb 26, 2009 #5
    reckon i've messed up somewhere though because they shouldn't have directions should they?

7. Feb 26, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Magnetic moment is a vector, so it most definitely should have a direction.

But you have messed up somewhere; is [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] really position independent? Because that's what you are assuming when you pull it out of the integral.

8. Feb 26, 2009 #7
    ok. not sure what to do with it then?

9. Feb 26, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cartesian unit vectors are position independent, so rewrite [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] in terms of them.

[tex]\hat{r}=\sin\theta\cos\phi\hat{x}+\ldots[/tex]

10. Feb 26, 2009 #9
    ok. did that. both the [itex]\hat{x},\hat{y}[/itex] bits dropped out.

and i got

[itex]\omega \int_0^a r^2 dr \int_0^{\pi} \sin{\theta} \cos^2{\theta} d \theta \int_0^{2 \pi} d \phi \mathbf{\hat{z}}=-\frac{\omega a^3}{3} \int_{1}^{-1} (-u^2) du 2 \pi \mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex] where [itex]u=\cos{\theta}[/itex]
    which simplifies to [itex]\frac{2 \omega \rho \pi a^3}{3} \mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex] when you multiply in the factor of [itex]\frac{\rho}{2}[/itex] and so overall we get

[itex]m=\left( \frac{2 \omega \rho \pi a^5}{5} -\frac{2 \omega \rho \pi a^3}{3} \right) \mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex] which doesn't quite give me what i want. there must still be a mistake somewhere i guess.

and i assume [itex]Q=\fac{4}{3} \pi \rho a^3[/itex]

11. Feb 26, 2009 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is 2/5-2/3?:wink:

Edit why does your second terms have a^3 instead of a^5?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  12. Feb 26, 2009 #11
    kool. i got it.

the next bit is to find the angular momentum L of the sphere of mass M and verify that [itex]\mathbf{m}=\frac{Q}{2M}\mathbf{L}[/itex]

i was wanting to use the formula i'm meant to be verifying for finding L so since that's out the window, I was guessing [itex]\mathbf{L}=M(r^2\mathbf{\omega}-(\mathbf{r \cdot \omega})\mathbf{r}[/itex] but that's not getting me anywhere!

13. Feb 26, 2009 #12

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the definition of angular momentum: [tex]\vec{L}=M\vec{v}\times\vec{r}[/tex]

P.S. \mathbf doesn't always show up too well here, so you might want to switch to \vec

Edit: [tex]\vec{dL}=\rho_M\vec{v}\times\vec{r}dV[/tex] where [tex]\rho_M=\frac{M}{\frac{4}{3}\pi a^3}[/tex]:wink:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  14. Feb 26, 2009 #13
    do i sub in for v before i integrate?

15. Feb 26, 2009 #14

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

did you sub in v before integrating when inding m?:wink:

16. Feb 28, 2009 #15
    yes. so is it basically going to be the same integral again?

17. Feb 28, 2009 #16

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You tell me...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook