1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic quadrupole?

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

By analogy with an electric quadrupole, one can devise a simple model for a magnetic quadrupole
    that consists of two small parallel loops with currents circulating in opposite senses and that are
    separated by a small distance. Consider two magnetic dipoles of equal dipole moments +/-m0 z-hat
    located at z = +/-a. In this case, the total dipole moment is zero. Show that, at large distances,
    the vector potential is given approximately by [itex]A_{\phi} = 6 \mu_0 m_0 a sin(\theta)cos(\theta)/(4 \pi r^3)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Multipole Expansion + Taylor Expansion?

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that what I need to do is to perform a multipole expansion to get the field for a single dipole. Then, superpose the two. Finally, I think I need to Taylor expand that result. Is this the correct way of going about doing things? What do I do with the radius of each dipole? (I can't get the radius of the dipole to go away!)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2
    Simply expand the general vector potential till the quadrupole term. You will get an integral which has to be evaluated according to the given configuration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook