Magnetic Quadrupole: Model & Vector Potential

• Thread starter linford86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, the conversation discusses a model for a magnetic quadrupole consisting of two parallel loops with opposite currents and separated by a small distance, analogous to an electric quadrupole. The total dipole moment is zero when considering two magnetic dipoles at equal distances with equal dipole moments. The vector potential at large distances is approximately given by A_{\phi} = 6 \mu_0 m_0 a sin(\theta)cos(\theta)/(4 \pi r^3), which can be obtained by expanding the general vector potential to the quadrupole term and evaluating the integral according to the given configuration. The radius of each dipole remains a factor in the equation.
linford86

Homework Statement

By analogy with an electric quadrupole, one can devise a simple model for a magnetic quadrupole
that consists of two small parallel loops with currents circulating in opposite senses and that are
separated by a small distance. Consider two magnetic dipoles of equal dipole moments +/-m0 z-hat
located at z = +/-a. In this case, the total dipole moment is zero. Show that, at large distances,
the vector potential is given approximately by [itex]A_{\phi} = 6 \mu_0 m_0 a sin(\theta)cos(\theta)/(4 \pi r^3)[/itex].

Homework Equations

Multipole Expansion + Taylor Expansion?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that what I need to do is to perform a multipole expansion to get the field for a single dipole. Then, superpose the two. Finally, I think I need to Taylor expand that result. Is this the correct way of going about doing things? What do I do with the radius of each dipole? (I can't get the radius of the dipole to go away!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Simply expand the general vector potential till the quadrupole term. You will get an integral which has to be evaluated according to the given configuration.

1. What is a magnetic quadrupole?

A magnetic quadrupole is a configuration of magnetic poles where there are two north poles and two south poles arranged in a symmetric pattern. This arrangement creates a complex magnetic field with both dipole and quadrupole components.

2. How is a magnetic quadrupole different from a magnetic dipole?

A magnetic dipole has a single north and south pole, while a magnetic quadrupole has two of each. This leads to a more complex magnetic field in a quadrupole compared to a dipole, which has a simpler field that decreases with distance.

3. What is the model of a magnetic quadrupole?

The model of a magnetic quadrupole is a mathematical representation of the magnetic field produced by a quadrupole. It is typically described using the multipole expansion, which breaks down the field into different components based on the number of poles.

4. What is the vector potential of a magnetic quadrupole?

The vector potential of a magnetic quadrupole is a vector field that describes the potential energy of a magnetic field. It is related to the magnetic field through the curl operator and is used to calculate the magnetic field in a given region.

5. How is a magnetic quadrupole used in scientific research?

Magnetic quadrupoles are used in a variety of scientific research, including particle accelerators, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and mass spectrometry. They can also be used to study the magnetic properties of materials and to manipulate magnetic particles in biological and chemical systems.