1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetoelectric induction, I think

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

All I've been given concerning this problem is the diagram below and the instruction to solve for the total voltage at both voltmeters.

Unfortunately, I am not sure whether this configuration counts as a electromagnetic coil, or whether it is simply two single-wire circuits, one for each voltmeter, connected at Points A and B. It also isn't clear from the diagram whether voltmeter #1, and its associated circuit, is in the same plane as the other voltmeter.

The known data:
    radius = .1m (A = .01pi)
    magnetic flux density = 100w/m^2 or 100 Teslas
    frequency = 1000 kHz

2. Relevant equations

I have been assuming that this each circuit is a coil (with one turn) and that I can use Faraday's Law: EMF = dphi/dt

where phi = the magnetic flux = B*A*cos(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

Quite frankly, I'm stuck. I'm not sure what 'theta' represents. B*A = 100w/m^2*.01m^2*pi = pi webers, so flux = pi * cos(theta). Is theta the angle of the coil? And once I get phi, how to I use Faraday's Law?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2
    I am not sure about the diagram, but since they say that the magnetic field is a sine wave, the magnetic field B must vary with time. Write B as a function of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook