Magnetoelectric induction, I think

• Thread starter Dante68
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the problem involves solving for the total voltage at both voltmeters using the given diagram and information. The diagram is unclear and it is uncertain if the configuration is an electromagnetic coil or two single-wire circuits connected at Points A and B. The known data includes a radius of .1m, magnetic flux density of 100w/m^2 or 100 Teslas, and a frequency of 1000 kHz. The equations used include Faraday's Law and the magnetic flux formula, but the value of theta is unclear. The problem also involves finding the function of time for the magnetic field, described as a sine wave.
Dante68

Homework Statement

All I've been given concerning this problem is the diagram below and the instruction to solve for the total voltage at both voltmeters.

Unfortunately, I am not sure whether this configuration counts as a electromagnetic coil, or whether it is simply two single-wire circuits, one for each voltmeter, connected at Points A and B. It also isn't clear from the diagram whether voltmeter #1, and its associated circuit, is in the same plane as the other voltmeter.

The known data:
radius = .1m (A = .01pi)
magnetic flux density = 100w/m^2 or 100 Teslas
frequency = 1000 kHz

Homework Equations

I have been assuming that this each circuit is a coil (with one turn) and that I can use Faraday's Law: EMF = dphi/dt

where phi = the magnetic flux = B*A*cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Quite frankly, I'm stuck. I'm not sure what 'theta' represents. B*A = 100w/m^2*.01m^2*pi = pi webers, so flux = pi * cos(theta). Is theta the angle of the coil? And once I get phi, how to I use Faraday's Law?

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure about the diagram, but since they say that the magnetic field is a sine wave, the magnetic field B must vary with time. Write B as a function of time.

Based on the information provided, it seems that this problem involves magnetoelectric induction, which is the process of generating an electric current through the interaction of a magnetic field and an electric field. In this case, the setup appears to be a configuration of two single-wire circuits connected at Points A and B, with each circuit containing a voltmeter. It is unclear from the diagram whether the voltmeters are in the same plane or not.

To solve for the total voltage at both voltmeters, you can use Faraday's Law, which states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a surface. In this case, the magnetic flux is given by B*A*cos(theta), where B is the magnetic flux density, A is the area of the circuit, and theta is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the circuit. It is not clear from the given information what value to use for theta, so it would be best to clarify this with the instructor or assume a value for theta (e.g. 0 or 90 degrees) and proceed with the calculation.

Once you have calculated the magnetic flux, you can use Faraday's Law to determine the induced EMF, which will give you the total voltage at both voltmeters. Keep in mind that the frequency of the magnetic field also plays a role in the calculation, so you will need to incorporate that into your solution as well.

If you are still unsure about the approach to take, it may be helpful to consult with your instructor or a colleague for further guidance. It is important to have a clear understanding of the problem and the given information before attempting to solve it.

Related to Magnetoelectric induction, I think

What is magnetoelectric induction?

Magnetoelectric induction is the process of generating an electric current through the use of a changing magnetic field.

How does magnetoelectric induction work?

Magnetoelectric induction works by creating a changing magnetic field, which then induces a current in a conductive material such as a wire.

What are some applications of magnetoelectric induction?

Magnetoelectric induction has various applications, including power generation, electric motors, transformers, and wireless charging.

What factors affect the strength of the induced current in magnetoelectric induction?

The strength of the induced current depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the movement, the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor, and the properties of the conductor.

How is magnetoelectric induction different from electromagnetic induction?

Magnetoelectric induction and electromagnetic induction are similar processes, but they differ in the source of the magnetic field. Magnetoelectric induction uses a permanent or static magnetic field, while electromagnetic induction uses a changing magnetic field.