Magnitude and direction of the force of the seat on you?

In summary, The force of the seat on the rider at the bottom of the loop-the-loop roller coaster is 2,490 N directed upward, calculated using the equation Fseat = Mv^2/r + Mg, where M is the mass of the rider, v is the speed of the rider at the bottom of the loop, r is the radius of the loop, and g is the gravitational acceleration.
charan1

Homework Statement

One fine spring day you decide to skip class and go to the amusement park to ride the loopthe-
loop roller coaster. At the bottom of the loop, you’re moving with a speed of 20 m/s in a vertical circle 20 m
in diameter. What’s the magnitude and direction of the force of the seat on you? Assume your mass is 50 kg.

Homework Equations

Vt=omega x radius
Fr=mass x omega2 x radius

The Attempt at a Solution

Vt=omega x radius
20m/s=omega x 10m
omega=10 rad/s

Fr=mass x omega2 x radius
Fr=50kg x 10rad/s x 10m
=5,000 N

I'm not sure what I'm doing at all on this problem please help me out.

I drew the FBD and the only forces are the Normal which I assume is the seats force on the rider which I further moved towards thinking that would be the Force towards the center thus the equation
Fr=mass x omega2 x radius, and the other force is (of course) g.

Please help me out I am in a bit of confusion.

Thank you for reading!

-Charan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

F(centripetal)=V^2/R because you are moving in a circle there is a centripetal force, always. At the bottom it is opposite of weight and the normal you feel is w-Fc at the top it is creating a normal if I remember correctly. so It is Fc+W=N

Oh I see thank you I also just found it in my book

at the bottom N=mg+mv2/r
and at the top N=mv2/r - mg

so in this case it is asking for the Normal force at the bottom and that is the first equation.

so:

N=(50kg)(g) + (50kg)(20m/s)2/10m
N=2,490N

Charan,

Just so you know how to get that equation and not memorize it, here are some steps you might take to help you understand why that is the case.

First draw a free-body and analyze the forces acting on you due to the seat. After drawing the diagram you will see that you have a Fn going up and a Fw going down. So if you use Newtons second law you get.

Efy=ma(c)

Fn-Fw=m(V^2/r) -----> Fn=Fw+m(V^2/r)

It will probably stick better if you understand why those equations are true

charan1 said:
Oh I see thank you I also just found it in my book

at the bottom N=mg+mv2/r
and at the top N=mv2/r - mg

so in this case it is asking for the Normal force at the bottom and that is the first equation.

so:

N=(50kg)(g) + (50kg)(20m/s)2/10m
N=2,490N
That's all very well, but please don't blindly find formulas in the book and try to apply them without understanding them.

When you are at the bottom, then Fseat is upward and your weight Mg is downward.
Therefore Fr = Fseat - Mg
Also Fr = Mv^2/r
Therefore Mv^2/r = Fseat - Mg
Fseat = Mv^2/r + Mg
Solve the above to calculate Fseat.

For centripetal force, you have used M*omega^2*r. That is also correct, but in this problem, v is given. So it is easier to use Mv^2/r

1. What is the magnitude and direction of the force of the seat on me?

The magnitude and direction of the force of the seat on you depends on various factors such as your weight, the angle at which you are sitting, and the type of seat you are sitting on. Generally, the force acts downwards towards the ground due to gravity.

2. How is the magnitude and direction of the force of the seat on me affected by my weight?

The greater the weight of an object, the greater the force of the seat on that object. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to an object's mass. Therefore, the heavier you are, the stronger the force of the seat pushing against you will be.

3. Does the angle at which I am sitting affect the magnitude and direction of the force of the seat on me?

Yes, the angle at which you are sitting can affect the magnitude and direction of the force of the seat on you. If you are sitting at an angle, the force of the seat may be distributed unevenly, resulting in a greater force pushing against one side of your body.

4. How does the type of seat I am sitting on affect the magnitude and direction of the force on me?

The type of seat you are sitting on can affect the magnitude and direction of the force on you in a few ways. For example, a hard seat may exert a greater force on your body compared to a soft seat. Additionally, a seat with a backrest may provide more support and distribute the force more evenly compared to a seat without a backrest.

5. Is the force of the seat on me constant?

No, the force of the seat on you is not constant. It can vary depending on your body position, movements, and the type of seat you are sitting on. For example, if you shift your weight or change your sitting position, the force of the seat may change as well.