Magnitude of the torque about the rotation axis at an instant

In summary, at a point on the edge of a wheel that is constrained to rotate in the xy plane, a force (F) of (-31.0 i + 49.0 j)N acts at a point that lies on the x-axis at an instant. The magnitude of the torque about the rotation axis at this instant is 4.03 N.m.
pcml100

Homework Statement

A wheel of diameter 26.0 cm is constrained to rotate in the xy plane, about the z axis, which passes through its center. A force F = ( - 31.0 i + 49.0 j )N acts at a point on the edge of the wheel that lies exactly on the x-axis at a particular instant. What is the magnitude of the torque about the rotation axis at this instant?

Homework Equations

Torque= RF = RFsin(theta)

Torque= (I)(alpha)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can imagine that I need to integrate the function given for the force or break the force down to its components but I am completely confused with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Physics Forums! Your 2nd relevant equation is not necessary, since the problem is not asking about angular acceleration. It is just asking for the torque magnitude about the center of the wheel. Your first relevant equation is correct, but you need first to identify R, F, and theta. This is a little involved unless you keep the force in its vector component form, and find the torque produced by each componet, then add them up algebraically. Or it may be simpler for you to look at the torques produced by each x and y component of the force by using the alternate definition of torque:
Torque = force times perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the pivot point. In general, watch plus and minus signs...if clockwise is plus, counterclockwise is minus.

So maybe this works?

T=sqrt[(RxFx)+(RyFy)]

T=sqrt[(.13 x 31.0)^2 + (0 x 49)^2]

T =sqrt[16.24] = 4.03

No.

First, you don't take the sq rt of the sum of the squares for forces in a 2D plane. The torques (T) add up algebraically, since they are about the same axis. For example, If T due to Fx was plus 3, and T due to Fy was minus 4, then T would be -1, not 5.

Second, you are not calculating the distances properly for each component. The point of application of the force lies on the x axis.

So:

Tx = (.13)(-31.0) = -4.03
Ty = (.13)(49.0) = 6.37

So T= Tx+Ty = 2.34?

Thanks for helping me through this, by the way. I know this is probably very simple but I really haven't seen any examples like this.

pcml100 said:
So:

Tx = (.13)(-31.0) = -4.03
No.
Ty = (.13)(49.0) = 6.37
Yes!
So T= Tx+Ty = 2.34?
Correct for the value of Tx, where Tx is the torque due to the x component of the force.
Thanks for helping me through this, by the way. I know this is probably very simple but I really haven't seen any examples like this.
You have the magnitude of 'Ty' calculated correctly, where Ty is the torque due to the y component of the force.

Now correct your Tx value. The torque due to the x component of the force is the x component of the force times the perpendicular distance from its line of action to the center of the wheel. What is the perpendicualr distance from the line of action of the x component of the force to the pivot point? (you sort of had the right idea earlier but you mixed up your components). Also, it is incorrect to label the torques as Tx and Ty. They are both actually Tz, because the direction of the torques of forces in the x and y direction in an xy plane is along the z axis for both .

If the point where the force is being applied is at the x-axis at that particular instant, I guess that the perpendicular distance on the y-axis is 0?

In that case,

T = 6.37 because there would be no x component (it would =0)?

pcml100 said:
If the point where the force is being applied is at the x-axis at that particular instant, I guess that the perpendicular distance on the y-axis is 0?
Yes, correct.
In that case,

T = 6.37 N.m (Newton-meters ) is the proper unit, because there would be no torque from the x component of the force (it (the torque from the x component of the force) would =0)?
Yes. Torque is a vector which points perpendicular to the plane that the forces lie in. In this case, the torque of 6.37 N.m points in the z direction. We call it T_z.
T_z = F_x(y) + F_y(x)

Thank you! I actually understand it now :)

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate about an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. What is the rotation axis?

The rotation axis is an imaginary line around which an object rotates. It is perpendicular to the plane of rotation and passes through the center of mass of the object.

3. How is the magnitude of torque calculated?

The magnitude of torque is calculated using the formula T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the applied force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm).

4. How does changing the distance from the axis of rotation affect the torque?

The magnitude of torque increases as the distance from the axis of rotation increases. This means that a smaller force applied at a larger distance can have the same torque as a larger force applied at a smaller distance.

5. What is the significance of torque about the rotation axis at an instant?

The torque about the rotation axis at an instant is an important concept in rotational dynamics. It helps us understand the rotational motion of objects and is used in various engineering and scientific applications, such as designing machines and analyzing the motion of celestial bodies.