1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of vector CD?

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1
    C, D are points defined by position vectors c and d. Magnitude of c is 5, mag of d is 7, c dotproduct d is 4 ie c.d = 4, find the magnitude of vector CD.

So i started this way

c.d = magc*magdcos@
    = 35cos@, @ = 83.4 degrees

But still no idea how do get magnitude of vector cd. Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you sure it isnt the magnitude of vector CD? (i.e. the vector from point C to point D)? If so, use the cosine rule on the triangle, since you know two vectors and an angle.

4. Mar 4, 2007 #3
    oops yes you are right, ok i use the cos rule and do get an answer(which is correct), but I am after it as an exact value (root66). How would i get that? Thanks!

5. Mar 4, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? You say you got an answer but you want an exact value? Did you use a calculator to get [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex]. Since you want to use [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] in the cosine rule, why not just use [itex]cos(\theta)= \frac{4}{35}[/itex] rather than finding [itex]\theta[/itex] itself?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?