Majoring in Petroleum Engineering, No Physics in High School

In summary, the conversation is about a student's concern regarding their lack of exposure to physics in high school and how it may affect their pursuit of a petroleum engineering major at TAMU. Other students reassure them that as long as they get into college, they will be fine and share their own experiences of not having a strong background in physics. The student also asks for advice on how to prepare for college-level physics during the summer.
Fullmetalx
I am attending TAMU this fall hoping to major in petroleum engineering. The problem is though that I never took AP physics B or C in high school. I did take Physics PAP junior year and received an excellent grade, but I still feel like I didn't learn a thing in the class.

This senior year I did take Calc AB/BC and Chem AP and feel like I did learn quite a bit in each class. I'm just worried that my lack of physics exposure will really set me back. This summer I want to dedicate myself in learning physics. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on how to prepare for college physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you get into college/university you'll be fine. When I was in high school the highest level of math I took was Algebra 1 and I never had a physics class. I'm attending university right now as a physics major and, while I have to take some lower level math classes before I can get into calc, I'm still in school for physics. You don't *have* to have AP physics or an excellent score in this or that. Ultimately, all that matters is that you get into school and do what you have to do.

I agree with Eleknar. I'll be starting my junior year of physics in the fall. I didn't have calculus in high school and only took one semester of physics (no AP or honors at my hs). You have nothing to worry about.

1. Can I major in Petroleum Engineering without having taken Physics in high school?

Yes, it is possible to major in Petroleum Engineering without having taken Physics in high school. However, it may be more challenging as a strong foundation in Physics is important for understanding the principles of Petroleum Engineering.

2. Will I struggle in my Petroleum Engineering courses if I have not taken Physics in high school?

It is possible that you may struggle in your Petroleum Engineering courses if you have not taken Physics in high school. However, if you are willing to put in extra effort and seek help when needed, you can still succeed in the major.

3. Can I take a Physics course in college to make up for not having taken it in high school?

Yes, you can take a Physics course in college to make up for not having taken it in high school. Many universities offer introductory Physics courses for students who did not take it in high school.

4. Will my lack of Physics knowledge affect my job prospects in the Petroleum Engineering field?

It may affect your job prospects in the Petroleum Engineering field as many employers prefer candidates with a strong background in Physics. However, if you have a good understanding of other relevant subjects and skills, you may still be able to find job opportunities.

5. What can I do to prepare for a Petroleum Engineering major if I did not take Physics in high school?

You can prepare for a Petroleum Engineering major by taking a Physics course in college, seeking additional resources and help from professors or tutors, and educating yourself on the basic principles and concepts of Physics. It is also important to focus on developing strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are crucial in the field of Petroleum Engineering.