1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Majoring in Petroleum Engineering, No Physics in High School

1. May 7, 2013 #1
    I am attending TAMU this fall hoping to major in petroleum engineering. The problem is though that I never took AP physics B or C in high school. I did take Physics PAP junior year and received an excellent grade, but I still feel like I didn't learn a thing in the class.

This senior year I did take Calc AB/BC and Chem AP and feel like I did learn quite a bit in each class. I'm just worried that my lack of physics exposure will really set me back. This summer I want to dedicate myself in learning physics. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on how to prepare for college physics?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2013 #2
    As long as you get into college/university you'll be fine. When I was in high school the highest level of math I took was Algebra 1 and I never had a physics class. I'm attending university right now as a physics major and, while I have to take some lower level math classes before I can get into calc, I'm still in school for physics. You don't *have* to have AP physics or an excellent score in this or that. Ultimately, all that matters is that you get into school and do what you have to do.

4. May 7, 2013 #3
    I agree with Eleknar. I'll be starting my junior year of physics in the fall. I didn't have calculus in high school and only took one semester of physics (no AP or honors at my hs). You have nothing to worry about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook