Making an Electromagnet to carry 1kg

In summary, using a transformer to increase the output of a battery can be a good way to lift a 1 kg object. However, you will need to calculate the force and current needed first.
darkshado

Homework Statement

To create an electromagnet capable of carrying 1kg without it being too dangerous i.e utilizing a car battery.

Homework Equations

Strength of electromagnet is dependent on number of turns and current.
V=IR
I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Used hot galvanized (I assume steel) nail and spike, wrapped with enamel coated copper connected to 3 battery packs (each with 4 D batteries in series). Experimented wiring the batter packs in series and parallel. These attempts were not that great and resulted in only a few paperclips being picked up.

Second take on the project I took was taking apart a power adapter to take out the transformer and re-arranging the "E" pieces of metal to all face one way and hooking that up to a battery though I failed and severed the copper wires when removing the plates.

Basically, would the transformer approach be the best way given that it must carry 1 kg. And if so, I'm still a bit confused as to where to connect the current to it.

Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
You should do some calculations before you start tinkering with the equipment. How much force do you need to pickup 1 kg? How big a magnetic field do you need? How much current can your batteries produce? What kinds and shapes of cores are available? These are only a few questions that you should answer first. Once you know the answers you can come up with a design that meets the requirements, at least theoretically. Then, and only then, should you start tinkering. There is no point wasting time cobbling something together if, even if it worked perfectly, it would not meet the specs.

That's actually a good idea, I don't know why I didn't think about doing equations first...

To lift 1 kg, is about 10 N of force.

Currently only have a straight rod of Hot galvanized steel, which isn't ideal but has to work. I'm trying to find a U-shaped piece as that should help.

From what I gather you can gather 1 amp out of a D battery. Though apparently this changes depending on freshness and etc. Though I'm also not too sure on how the resistance of the wire will affect this also.

I think you do a lot better if the end of the magnet and the object to be lifted both have large highly polished surfaces that meet perfectly (making atom-to-atom contact throughout). The more your setup departs from the ideal, the less effective the magnet will be.

darkshado said:
From what I gather you can gather 1 amp out of a D battery.
Batteries are rated in amp-hours. D batteries have about 2 amp-hours, more or less. It varies not only by freshness, but also by brand and presumably cost.

Though I'm also not too sure on how the resistance of the wire will affect this also.
Ohm's law, but consider reactance, not just resistance. And be careful of short circuits.

1. How can I make an electromagnet strong enough to carry 1kg?

To make an electromagnet that can carry 1kg, you will need a large amount of electricity passing through a coil of wire. You can achieve this by using a strong battery or power supply, as well as a thicker and more tightly wound coil of wire.

2. What materials do I need to make an electromagnet for 1kg?

To make an electromagnet that can carry 1kg, you will need a power source, such as a battery or power supply, a ferromagnetic core, and a coil of wire. The type of wire and the number of turns in the coil will also affect the strength of the electromagnet.

3. How do I calculate the strength of an electromagnet for 1kg?

The strength of an electromagnet can be calculated using the formula F = (N*I)^2 * μ0 * A / (2*g^2), where N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current, μ0 is the permeability of free space, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and g is the distance between the core and the object being lifted. By manipulating these variables, you can create an electromagnet strong enough to carry 1kg.

4. Can I use any type of wire to make an electromagnet for 1kg?

The type of wire you use can affect the strength of your electromagnet. Thicker wire with a higher gauge will allow for more electricity to pass through, resulting in a stronger electromagnet. Additionally, using a wire with a higher resistance, such as copper, will generate more heat and can potentially damage the wire and affect the strength of the electromagnet.

5. Is it safe to carry 1kg using an electromagnet?

Yes, it is safe to carry 1kg using an electromagnet as long as the magnet is properly constructed and used. It is important to make sure that the object being lifted is securely attached to the magnet and that the current passing through the coil is not too high, as this can cause the wire to overheat. It is also important to handle the electromagnet with care and avoid placing it near any electronic devices or credit cards, as the strong magnetic field can interfere with their function.