Make an External HD: DIY or Buy?

• Thread starter exequor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty and cost of creating an adapter to connect a normal hard drive to a computer using a USB cord. The speaker initially considers designing their own adapter but is convinced that it would be too expensive and time-consuming. They then decide to purchase a premade adapter from a retail store or online.
exequor
Ok, I have a normal hard drive and I want to connect it to my computer using a usb cord (any port i guess). There are adapters out there that allow you to do this but they cost way too much (like $165).

How difficult would it be for me to design such an adapter. I know that the drive would need power, but it is how to convert the IDE connection at the back to something usb adaptable I am unsure of.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is one of those times where the respons is "If you have to ask then you don't know enough to begin with." Basically, you'de need to understand the USB protocol as well as the IDE protocol---both hardware and software---before even attempting such a project. You might be able to get away with an FTDI chip and/or a microcontroller(PIC and ATMEL have USB capable uC's but you still need a bus driver chip and you still need to understand the protocol(s) before making something that works) but you're just wasting your time because the cost and time needed to develope what you want would far and away exceed the cost of simply buying a premade unit.

haha that's exactly what i was thinking but didn't want to say it. If you have the knowledge to be able to do it, you wouldn't have asked if it were possible.

Pengwuino I can't remember asking if doing it was possible, in fact I know that it is possible. I asked how difficult it was to do, and faust provided enough evidence to convince me that it would be too expensive to develop it on my own.

Thanks for the links guys, I might go with the one from http://www.usb-ware.com/usb-2-ide-adapter-ud200.htm because it seems like the one at best buy is just better looking, with the enclosure and everything.

edit: i just found one on tigerdirect for $19.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...Sku=C250-2288&SRCCODE=BIZRATE&CMP=OTC-BIZRATE

Last edited:
Yah but if you did have the ability to do it, you probably would have known enough to determine how hard it would be.

Related to Make an External HD: DIY or Buy?

1. Should I make my own external hard drive or buy one?

It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and technical abilities. Making your own external hard drive can be a fun and rewarding DIY project, but it also requires some technical knowledge and may not be cost-effective for everyone. Buying a pre-made external hard drive may be a more convenient option for those who are not comfortable building their own.

2. What are the advantages of making my own external hard drive?

One of the main advantages of making your own external hard drive is the ability to customize it to your specific needs. You can choose the size, type, and brand of hard drive, as well as the type of enclosure and connection interface. This can result in a more personalized and potentially more cost-effective solution.

3. What tools and materials do I need to make an external hard drive?

To make your own external hard drive, you will need a hard drive, an external hard drive enclosure, a small screwdriver, and a USB cable. Some enclosures may also require additional tools such as pliers or a wire cutter. It is important to research and gather all necessary materials before beginning the project.

4. Are there any risks involved in making my own external hard drive?

There is a certain level of risk involved in any DIY project, and building your own external hard drive is no exception. If you are not familiar with the process or do not have the necessary tools, you may accidentally damage the hard drive or the enclosure. It is important to carefully follow instructions and take precautions to avoid any potential risks.

5. Is it cheaper to make my own external hard drive?

The cost of making your own external hard drive will depend on the specific components you choose, as well as the tools and materials you already have on hand. In some cases, it may be cheaper to buy a pre-made external hard drive. It is important to compare prices and research the best options for your specific needs before making a decision.