Calculating Electromagnetic Energy from Satellite Dish

• Thread starter ilovephysics2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Carbon
In summary, the intensity of a typical electromagnetic signal from a communications satellite is 0.9 pW/m2 at the surface of the Earth. The area of a satellite dish can be calculated using pi times the radius squared. With a radius of 0.36 m, the energy reflected to the central receiver in 2.5 minutes can be found by multiplying the power of the signal by the area of the dish. This can be expressed in pj and MeV using the equation for energy.
ilovephysics2

Homework Statement

A typical electromagnetic signal from a communications satellite might have an intensity of 0.9 pW/m2 at the surface of the Earth. Your satellite dish collects the energy of the electromagnetic signal from the satellite; then your dish passes that energy to its central receiver, where the signal can be processed by a circuit. The area of a satellite dish can be calculated from pi (3.1416) times the radius squared. If your satellite dish has a radius of 0.36 m, and if it is receiving the signal described above, how much electromagnetic energy is reflected to the central receiver in 2.5 minutes? Express in pj and MeV

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this but I am not sure what equation to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about energy=power*time?

Total power input = power of signal * area

sorry that I don't know the actual proper formulas, I'm just using common sense here.

Can you please provide the necessary equations?

There are a few equations that can be used to calculate the electromagnetic energy from a satellite dish:

1. Intensity (I) = Power (P) / Area (A)
This equation relates the intensity of the electromagnetic signal to the power and area of the satellite dish. In this case, the intensity is given as 0.9 pW/m2, and the area of the satellite dish can be calculated using the given radius (0.36 m). Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for power:
Power (P) = Intensity (I) * Area (A)

2. Power (P) = Energy (E) / Time (t)
This equation relates power to energy and time. In this case, we are given the time (2.5 minutes) and we need to calculate the energy that is reflected to the central receiver. Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for energy:
Energy (E) = Power (P) * Time (t)

3. Energy (E) = Mass (m) * (Speed of light)^2
This equation is known as Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, and it relates energy to mass. In this case, we can calculate the mass of the electromagnetic energy using the energy calculated in equation 2 and the speed of light (3 x 10^8 m/s).

Using these equations, we can calculate the electromagnetic energy from the satellite dish:

Step 1: Calculate the area of the satellite dish
Area (A) = pi * (radius)^2 = 3.1416 * (0.36 m)^2 = 0.4071 m^2

Step 2: Calculate the power of the electromagnetic signal
Power (P) = Intensity (I) * Area (A) = 0.9 pW/m2 * 0.4071 m^2 = 0.3664 pW

Step 3: Calculate the energy reflected to the central receiver
Energy (E) = Power (P) * Time (t) = 0.3664 pW * 2.5 minutes = 0.916 pJ

Step 4: Convert to MeV
To convert from pJ to MeV, we can use the fact that 1 MeV is equal to 1.602 x 10^-13 Joules. Therefore:
Energy

FAQ: Calculating Electromagnetic Energy from Satellite Dish

1. How is the electromagnetic energy from a satellite dish calculated?

The electromagnetic energy from a satellite dish is calculated by using the formula P = E/t, where P represents power, E represents energy, and t represents time. This formula can be derived from the equation for power, P = IV, where I is the current and V is the voltage.

2. What factors affect the amount of electromagnetic energy received by a satellite dish?

The amount of electromagnetic energy received by a satellite dish is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the dish, the frequency of the signal, and any obstructions in the path of the signal such as trees or buildings. The efficiency of the dish and the receiver also play a role in the amount of energy received.

3. Can the amount of electromagnetic energy received by a satellite dish be increased?

Yes, the amount of electromagnetic energy received by a satellite dish can be increased by using a larger dish, optimizing the positioning of the dish, and using a more efficient receiver. Additionally, clearing any obstructions in the path of the signal can also increase the amount of energy received.

4. How is the electromagnetic energy from a satellite dish measured?

The electromagnetic energy from a satellite dish is typically measured in watts (W) or milliwatts (mW). This can be done using specialized equipment such as a power meter or by using mathematical calculations based on the power equation P = E/t.

5. Is electromagnetic energy from a satellite dish harmful to humans?

The electromagnetic energy from a satellite dish is considered to be non-ionizing, which means it does not have enough energy to cause harm to human tissues. However, it is always recommended to follow safety guidelines and avoid prolonged exposure to high levels of electromagnetic energy.

Back