1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making insulator that keeps water at the same temperature

1. Mar 30, 2006 #1
    Well i have to do this project/experiment creating an insulator that keeps water at the same temperature for an hour or some duration of time. I was thinking of Styrofoam, but i just wanted to post this here in case someone could help me out or give some ideas. I have to use recycled materials.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2006 #2
    I don't know exactly what you will have on hand, but if you can line the inside of your insulator with mirrors (reflective surface facing in, of course) you can make it insulate better. This is a trick that most thermos bottle makers use.

-Dan

4. Apr 1, 2006 #3
    yea i thought about Aluminum. Any other ideas?

5. Apr 3, 2006 #4
    Aluminium Spray paint

6. Apr 3, 2006 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nested containers. A small air gap is about as good insulation as you can get. You need to minimize the contact with the outer container and take care to eliminate air circulation.

7. Apr 3, 2006 #6

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Heat is lost through radiation, convection and condution. You should aim to design your setup so that these factors are minimized.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?