Making X the subject. Know nothing

• Thread starter Dainielw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with understanding algebra, specifically how to make a certain variable the subject of an equation. The responder explains the concept of "undoing" operations to isolate the variable and provides examples of how to do so with different equations. They also emphasize the importance of doing operations in the opposite order when "undoing" them.
Dainielw

Homework Statement

Hello. This is my first post, hoping its in the right section. Now when it comes to physics I don't really have a clue, biology is my strong point. But still need to know this. When making X the subject what do I need to learn? I know the basics such as y = X - 3 is X = y + 3 ect. But need to know when to divide both sides of the equation by another thing in in the equation. Or what do I do when there is a squared or brackets involved. Sorry for my stupidity. I am trying. Any help appreciated. Thanks for reading

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you need to brush up on basic algebra.

Doc Al said:
Sounds like you need to brush up on basic algebra.

Well that's why I'm here. I just asked what steps are involved with something like something like a=(x-u)/t, or a=-3+x². Not to be told what I already knew

Dainielw said:
Well that's why I'm here. I just asked what steps are involved with something like something like a=(x-u)/t, or a=-3+x². Not to be told what I already knew
We are not mind readers. Unless you present a specific question and show your work and where you got stuck, how are we to know how to help you?

Since you already know that it's algebra you need help with, what steps have you taken to brush up on your algebra?

As far as your specific examples, why not tell us what you think needs to be done in each case to isolate the x? Hint: The basic idea is to always do the same thing to each side of the equation. (See: Golden Rule of Algebra)

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
We are not mind readers. Unless you present a specific question and show your work and where you got stuck, how are we to know how to help you?

Since you already know that it's algebra you need help with, what steps have you taken to brush up on your algebra?

As far as your specific examples, why not tell us what you think needs to be done in each case to isolate the x? Hint: The basic idea is to always do the same thing to each side of the equation. (See: Golden Rule of Algebra)

Sorry mate, I snapped a bit there (long day). I've been looking through my old math DVD's which were to suppose to offer an "in depth" review of the steps but turns out to be whistle stop tour of confusion. So for the equation a=(x-u)/t would I be able to times both side by t and use that to get at=x-u? Because I can happily work that out to be x=at+u. Is that right at all?

Dainielw said:
So for the equation a=(x-u)/t would I be able to times both side by t and use that to get at=x-u? Because I can happily work that out to be x=at+u. Is that right at all?
Perfectly right.

Doc Al said:
Perfectly right.

Well then I'm making progress. So thank you. Now to the next example a=-3+x². I'm confused as to how to remove the ² from the x². This is what's really confusing me (as said I'm not good at physics, really just biology) how would i do that?

This has less to do with physics than with math. What do you know about square roots?

Dainielw said:
Well then I'm making progress. So thank you. Now to the next example a=-3+x². I'm confused as to how to remove the ² from the x². This is what's really confusing me (as said I'm not good at physics, really just biology) how would i do that?
Start by getting the x2 off by itself. How would you do that? Once you do that, you can take the square root of both sides.

To "make x the subject" (in American English, "solve for x"), you have to "undo" whatever is done to x. And you "undo" by "doing the opposite", you are correct that x+ 3= y gives you x= y- 3 when you "make x the subject". x is NOT the subject to begin with because 3 is added to x. The opposite of "add 3" is "subtract 3" so what you really do is, starting with x+ 3= y, subtract 3 from both sides, x+ 3- 3= y- 3 or, since 3- 3= 0 (which is why 'subtract 3' is the opposite of 'add 3') we have x= y- 3.

Now, if the problem is 5x= y, x is not "the subject" because it is multiplied by 5. Now, what do you think the "opposite" of "multiply by 5" is? I hope you immediately answered "divide by 5"! Dividing both sides by 5, (5x)/5= x= y/5. Similarly, if the equation were x/7= y, you should immediately think "multiply both sides by 7" because that is the opposite of x/7: 7(x/7)= x= 7y.

Where we have combinations, we can use the same idea but be careful. To "undo" a succession of operations on x, we have to do the opposite things in the opposite order. For example, if the equation were y= 5x- 7 and you were asked NOT to make x the subject but just to evaluate for x= 3, say. You would replace x by 3 and have y= 5(3)- 7. Of course, by the "order of operations", you would first multiply 5 by 3, to get 15, then subtract 7 to get y= 8. To solve for x, we would do the opposite of "multiply by 5", which is "divide by 5", and the opposite of "subtract 7", which is "add 7"- and we do it in the opposite order: first add 7, then divide by 5: from 5x- 7= y, adding 7 to both sides gives 5x= y+ 7 and then dividing both sides by 5, x=(y+7)/5.

This idea of "in the opposite order" is not just mathematics- that is true whenever we try to "undo" a complex procedure. What do I need to do if I want to get in my car and drive somewhere? Well, first, I have to unlock the car door, then open the door, get in, close the door, fasten the seat belt, put the key in the ignition, and start the engine". When I arrive wherever I am going, I have to "undo" that. Obviously, the opposite of "unlock the car door" is "lock the car door" but it would make no sense to do that first, before I had even got out! No, I would "stop the engine" first, remove the key from the ignition, unfasten the seat belt, open the car door, get out, close the car door, and lock it. In each case, I have done exactly the opposite operation, and in the opposite order.

FAQ: Making X the subject. Know nothing

1. How do I make X the subject when I know nothing about it?

Making X the subject when you have no prior knowledge about it can be challenging, but not impossible. The first step is to do some research and gather as much information as you can about X. This will help you understand the basics and give you a starting point. You can also consult with experts or professionals in the field for guidance.

2. Can I make X the subject without any background in science?

Yes, you can make X the subject even if you don't have a scientific background. The key is to have a curious and open mind, and be willing to learn. With the help of reliable resources and guidance from experts, you can gain a basic understanding of X and continue your research from there.

3. How long does it take to make X the subject?

The time it takes to make X the subject varies and depends on various factors such as the complexity of the subject, your prior knowledge, and the availability of resources. It could take a few weeks or even months to gain a basic understanding of X, but to become an expert, it may take years of dedicated study and research.

4. What are the benefits of making X the subject?

There are many benefits to making X the subject. Firstly, it allows you to gain a deeper understanding of a specific topic and expand your knowledge. It can also open up new opportunities for career growth or personal development. Additionally, studying and researching a subject can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which can be applied in various areas of life.

5. How can I stay motivated while making X the subject?

Staying motivated while making X the subject can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to keep yourself motivated. Set achievable goals and break them down into smaller tasks. This will help you track your progress and feel a sense of accomplishment. Another tip is to take breaks and engage in activities that you enjoy to avoid burnout. Remember your passion and curiosity for X and use it as your driving force to keep going.

Back