Man uses solar panels to generate electricy, actually makes the news

In summary, a news report was recently aired in 2005 about a man in Chicago who installed solar panels, which was portrayed as groundbreaking technology. However, the concept of using solar power is not new and has been attempted before, such as with the Citicorp center in NYC. The reason it was considered newsworthy may be due to the lack of awareness or implementation of solar power in Chicago.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I'm amazed that i just saw, halfway through the year 2005, a news report on a guy who installed solar panels...nothing special, no special anything... he just installed solar panels and they are acting like this is some new technology that is just blowing the minds of people. I guess the reason it was an actual news report is because the guy lives in Chicago. Oh well :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
I'm amazed that i just saw, halfway through the year 2005, a news report on a guy who installed solar panels...nothing special, no special anything... he just installed solar panels and they are acting like this is some new technology that is just blowing the minds of people. I guess the reason it was an actual news report is because the guy lives in Chicago. Oh well :D
Really? Someone thought this was new? So news does travel slow in America. :-p

The Bob (2004 ©)

lol

"Breaking news, OJ simpson has been found not guilty!"

Well, like you said, in Chicago, that might actually be news. It was a huge deal when the Citicorp center was first built in NYC. It was supposed to be the first skyscraper to ever operate entirely on solar power. It failed miserably because there is little sunlight in New York for half the year (it was also a big deal because the ground floor is an open plaza, which actually did work). I've never been to Chicago, but I would imagine the situation there is similar.

Related to Man uses solar panels to generate electricy, actually makes the news

What are solar panels and how do they work?

Solar panels are devices that convert sunlight into electricity. They are made up of photovoltaic (PV) cells, which are made of a semiconductor material that absorbs sunlight and converts it into an electrical current. When sunlight hits the PV cells, it causes a flow of electrons, creating an electric current.

How does using solar panels benefit the environment?

Using solar panels reduces our dependence on fossil fuels, which are major contributors to air pollution and climate change. Solar energy is a renewable and clean source of energy, meaning it does not produce harmful emissions. By using solar panels, we can reduce our carbon footprint and help mitigate the effects of climate change.

What are the limitations of using solar panels?

The main limitation of using solar panels is that they can only generate electricity when there is sunlight. This means that they are not as reliable as traditional power sources, such as coal or natural gas. Additionally, the initial cost of installing solar panels can be expensive, although the long-term savings on electricity bills can offset this cost.

How can individuals incorporate solar panels into their daily lives?

Individuals can incorporate solar panels into their daily lives by installing them on their homes or businesses. This allows them to generate their own electricity and potentially sell excess energy back to the grid. Other options include using portable solar panels to charge devices while on-the-go or investing in community solar projects.

What advancements are being made in solar panel technology?

There are constant advancements being made in solar panel technology, including increasing efficiency, reducing costs, and improving durability. Some recent advancements include using thin-film solar cells, which are more flexible and lightweight, and incorporating solar panels into building materials, such as windows and roofing. Researchers are also exploring new materials, such as perovskite, to potentially make solar panels even more efficient.