Manipulating Equations for Perpendicular Oscillations

In summary: Ur wrong. I figured it out with a little help from someone else. Had to multiply the right parenthesis with $$\sin^{2} \Delta \phi$$, move the second term to the left side, factorise out $$ \frac {x^{2}} {A ^{2}} $$ and then the remaining equation is identical to (3)In summary, the trajectory equation for 2 perpendicular oscillations can be found by algebraically manipulating the given equations and using the trigonometric identities $$\sin(r) = \sqrt{1 - \cos^2(r)}$$ and $$\cos^{2} x+\sin^{2} x =1$$. By expressing the equations in terms of ##u =
Xsnac

Homework Statement

I have 2 perpendicular oscilations and I have to find the trajectory equation.

$$x=A\cos\omega t\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, (1)$$
$$y=B\cos(\omega t+\Delta\phi)$$

Homework Equations

$$\cos (x+y) =\cos x\cos y -\sin x\sin y$$
$$\cos^{2} x+\sin^{2} x =1$$

and from (1)
$$\cos\omega t =\frac {x}{A}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I basicaly spent 2 hours trying to algebraicaly manipulate the equationThe closes I could get was:

$$\frac {y^{2}} {B^{2}} -2\frac {xy} {AB}\cos\Delta\phi + \frac {x^{2}} {A^{2}}\cos^{2}\Delta\phi = (1 - \frac{x^{2}} {A^{2}} )sin^{2}\Delta\phi\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, (2)$$

The end result should be:
$$\frac {x^{2}} {A^{2}} +\frac {y^{2}} {B^{2}}-2\frac {xy} {AB}\cos\Delta\phi=sin^{2}\Delta\phi \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, (3)$$

I have no ideea how to get from (2) to (3). :mad:

Thank you in advance for reading this wall of text.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you want. You already have parametric trahectory equations: x(t) = stuff; y(t) = other stuff

Do you want a coordinate equation y(x)?

I don't know how to get from (2) to (3). I want to know the steps I have to make to get from (2) to (3)...

Xsnac said:

Homework Statement

I have 2 perpendicular oscilations and I have to find the trajectory equation.

$$x=A\cos\omega t\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, (1)$$
$$y=B\cos(\omega t+\Delta\phi)$$

Homework Equations

$$\cos x+y =\cos x\cos y -\sin x\sin y$$
$$\cos^{2} x+\sin^{2} x =1$$

and from (1)
$$\cos\omega t =\frac {x}{A}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I basicaly spent 2 hours trying to algebraicaly manipulate the equationThe closes I could get was:

$$\frac {y^{2}} {B^{2}} -2\frac {xy} {AB}\cos\Delta\phi + \frac {x^{2}} {A^{2}}\cos^{2}\Delta\phi = (1 - \frac{x^{2}} {A^{2}} )sin^{2}\Delta\phi\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, (2)$$

The end result should be:
$$\frac {x^{2}} {A^{2}} +\frac {y^{2}} {B^{2}}-2\frac {xy} {AB}\cos\Delta\phi=sin^{2}\Delta\phi \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, (3)$$

I have no ideea how to get from (2) to (3). :mad:

Thank you in advance for reading this wall of text.
We need to see the details: what are the steps you took to get to your (2)? Perhaps you made some errors, but we cannot tell until you show us.

For the record: I get the result (3).

BTW: your equation ##\cos x+y =\cos x\cos y -\sin x\sin y## is almost certainly false, as it says ## y + \cos x =\cos x\cos y -\sin x\sin y##, which is untrue for most ##x,y##. However, an equation such as ##\cos (x+y) =\cos x \cos y -\sin x \sin y## is true for all real ##x,y##.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
We need to see the details: what are the steps you took to get to your (2)? Perhaps you made some errors, but we cannot tell until you show us.

BTW: your equation ##\cos x+y =\cos x\cos y -\sin x\sin y## is almost certainly false, as it says ## y + \cos x =\cos x\cos y -\sin x\sin y##, which is untrue for most ##x,y##. However, an equation such as ##\cos (x+y) =\cos x \cos y -\sin x \sin y## is true for all real ##x,y##.

sorry it was a typo ... well the stepps I took are the following
I expanded the cos function of $$y=B\cos(\omega t+\Delta\phi)$$
and replaced all the $$\cos\omega t$$ with $$\frac {x}{A}$$
then I transformed the $$\sin\omega t$$ into $$\sqrt{1 - \frac{x^{2}} {A^{2}}}$$
In the end I divided everything by B and squared everything to get rid of the root.

Last edited:
Xsnac said:
sorry it was a typo ... well the stepps I took are the following
I expanded the cos function of $$y=B\cos(\omega t+\Delta\phi)$$
and replaced all the $$\cos\omega t$$ with $$\frac {x}{A}$$
then I transformed the $$\sin\omega t$$ into $$\sqrt{1 - \frac{x^{2}} {A^{2}}}$$
In the end I divided everything by B and squared everything to get rid of the root.

Transforming ##\sin(\omega t)## into ##\sqrt{1 - \cos^2(\omega t)}## is a mistake, as it eliminates the parts where ##\sin(\omega t) < 0##. The point is that, by definition, ##\sqrt{ \cdot } \geq 0## for any real argument, but sometimes you want to have ##\sin(\omega t) = - \sqrt{1 - \cos^2(\omega t)}##. It is a lot easier to just use ##u = \cos(\omega t), v = \sin(\omega t)## and then express ##x(t), y(t)## in terms of ##u,v##. Of course, ##u^2 + v^2 = 1## for all ##t##.

Ur wrong. I figured it out with a little help from someone else. Had to multiply the right parenthesis with $$\sin^{2} \Delta \phi$$ , move the second term to the left side, factorise out $$ \frac {x^{2}} {A ^{2}} $$ and then the remaining equation is identical to (3)

reminder of what I had

and where I got

Xsnac said:
Ur wrong. I figured it out with a little help from someone else. Had to multiply the right parenthesis with $$\sin^{2} \Delta \phi$$ , move the second term to the left side, factorise out $$ \frac {x^{2}} {A ^{2}} $$ and then the remaining equation is identical to (3)

reminder of what I had

and where I got

No, I am NOT WRONG. Writing ##\sin(r) = \sqrt{1 - \cos^2(r)}## can be incorrect, and by definition of the function ##\sqrt{ \cdot }##, it is ##\geq 0## for all real arguments. Those are just plain facts.

These issues have been explained over and over again, many times, in numerous discussions in this forum. I did not make these things up.

Aside from that, whether of not expressing ##x,y## in terms of ##u,v## and then using ##1 = u^2 + v^2## is easier or harder than some other way is largely a matter of opinion; I found it easier.

Ray Vickson said:
No, I am NOT WRONG. Writing ##\sin(r) = \sqrt{1 - \cos^2(r)}## can be incorrect, and by definition of the function ##\sqrt{ \cdot }##, it is ##\geq 0## for all real arguments. Those are just plain facts.

These issues have been explained over and over again, many times, in numerous discussions in this forum. I did not make these things up.

Aside from that, whether of not expressing ##x,y## in terms of ##u,v## and then using ##1 = u^2 + v^2## is easier or harder than some other way is largely a matter of opinion; I found it easier.
Ur wrong in the sense that saying what you just said is not getting me closer to solving the problem. But thank you anyway.

Related to Manipulating Equations for Perpendicular Oscillations

1. What are perpendicular oscillations?

Perpendicular oscillations refer to the motion of two objects that are oscillating in perpendicular directions, meaning they are moving at right angles to each other.

2. What causes perpendicular oscillations?

Perpendicular oscillations can be caused by a variety of factors, such as the forces acting on the objects, the properties of the objects themselves, and the initial conditions of the system.

3. What is the relationship between the amplitudes of perpendicular oscillations?

The amplitudes of perpendicular oscillations are independent of each other. This means that the amplitude of one oscillation does not affect the amplitude of the other oscillation.

4. How are the frequencies of perpendicular oscillations related?

The frequencies of perpendicular oscillations are also independent of each other. This means that the frequency of one oscillation does not affect the frequency of the other oscillation.

5. Can perpendicular oscillations occur in different mediums?

Yes, perpendicular oscillations can occur in different mediums as long as the objects are able to move in perpendicular directions. This can include mediums such as air, water, and solids.