Many batteries in series (dangerous?)

• Thread starter maze
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is it dangerous to put, say, 100 D-cell batteries in series (the type you find in a flashlight)?

Answers and Replies

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That depends on your definition of "danger," I guess. It's less dangerous than typical 120V household mains, but it could still kill you.

- Warren

Last edited:
Is it dangerous to put, say, 100 D-cell batteries in series (the type you find in a flashlight)?
Their rating is about 2000 milliamp-hours, so you could light a 100-watt bulb for a few minutes. But it is dangerous to touch both ends at the same time.

What is a reasonable limit where you don't have to worry about dying?

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
40 volts is generally below the threshold of sensation, with dry skin. Below that, you're generally safe.

- Warren

RonL
Gold Member
If the cells are ni-cads and fully charged you would have 125 volts DC, and if they are alkaline, you would have 150 volts DC, I believe both would kill a person.:frown:

Thanks all, I will keep this in mind.

I was googling around to find the answer to this, and as a result have another interesting but less practical question. A website claimed that if you have huge bleeding cuts on your hands, then the liquid blood could complete a circuit with much less resistance, thereby electrocuting you with as low as a 6V battery. Is this true?

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't know about electrocuting (killing) you, but it'd probably hurt like hell. Put a 9V battery on your tongue for a sample.

- Warren

Thats what I thought, but blood vessels travel through the heart on the way from one hand to another, so it seemed possible that it could disrupt the heartbeat rhythm.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There is also a fire and explosion risk if you short circuit them, especially if they are enclosed and so can't cool easily

Are you actually thinking about doing this for something or are you asking this hypothetically? If so may I ask why? There might be better solutions.

I don't know about electrocuting (killing) you, but it'd probably hurt like hell. Put a 9V battery on your tongue for a sample.

- Warren
Ah the tongue voltmeter.Not to be recommended.:bugeye:

Ah the tongue voltmeter.Not to be recommended.:bugeye:
Here people give advice on some deadly current machine and you are warning against 9V block licking? :uhh:

Here people give advice on some deadly current machine and you are warning against 9V block licking? :uhh:
Well,I like the taste of chlorine I get after eating a bag of salted peanuts and when I spark up I demonstrate the squeaky pop test for hydrogen.The biggest problem is that the tongue voltmeter is so difficult to calibrate.:wink:

I've seen something similar done with 9V cells which clip nicely together in an end-to-end series chain of any arbitrary length.

Seemed dangerous to me once you got above the safe ELV.