Mapping unit circle from one complex plane to another

It's easier to see the path when you break a leg.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with complex variables ζ and z and their relation, resulting in the unit circle mod(ζ) = 1 in the ζ plane mapping to an ellipse in the z-plane. The question then asks for help in finding the equation for this ellipse in terms of x and y. The expert suggests attempting the problem and provides guidance, leading to the solution being (x/3)²+y² = 1.
sr3056
I want to show that if the complex variables ζ and z and related via the relation

z = (2/ζ) + ζ

then the unit circle mod(ζ) = 1 in the ζ plane maps to an ellipse in the z-plane.

Then if I write z as x + iy, what is the equation for this ellipse in terms of x and y?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Then if I write z as x + iy, what is the equation for this ellipse in terms of x and y?
... you mean: "how should I go about finding the equation of the ellipse?" Nobody is going to spoon-feed you the actual answer here - but we can help you find it for yourself.

You can help us do that by attempting the problem.

Start out by writing out the relations you know:

1. z = (2/ζ) + ζ
2. |ζ| = 1

3. ζ = γ + iλ
4. z = x + iy

5. ... any other relations that must hold true?

Presumably you can expand 1 and 2 in terms of 3?
Presumably you can look up the general equation of an ellipse?

Now where do you get stuck?

I think I've got it now..

Let ζ = u+iv so u²+v²=1 because |ζ| = 1

2/ζ + ζ = 2 / (u+iv) + (u+iv) = 2(u−iv) / (u²+v²) + (u+iv) = 3u−iv

∴ x+iy = 3u−iv and so u=x/3, v=−y

From u²+v² = 1 this yields (x/3)²+y² = 1, an ellipse

Thanks for your help

No worries :-)
Sometimes the trick is starting without knowing whe re you are going.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your findings. Your work on mapping the unit circle from one complex plane to another is very interesting.

To show that the unit circle mod(ζ) = 1 in the ζ plane maps to an ellipse in the z-plane, we can use the definition of the unit circle, which is a circle with radius 1 centered at the origin. In the ζ plane, this can be represented as |ζ| = 1.

Now, let's substitute z = (2/ζ) + ζ into this equation. We get:

|(2/ζ) + ζ| = 1

Simplifying, we get:

|2 + ζ^2| = |ζ|

Using the definition of complex modulus, we can write this as:

√(4 + ζ^4) = √(ζ^2)

Squaring both sides, we get:

4 + ζ^4 = ζ^2

Rearranging, we get:

ζ^4 - ζ^2 + 4 = 0

This equation represents an ellipse in the ζ plane. Now, if we express z = x + iy, we can rewrite this equation in terms of x and y:

(x^2 + y^2)^2 - (x^2 - y^2) + 4 = 0

This is the equation of the ellipse in the z-plane that maps to the unit circle in the ζ plane. I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a complex plane?

A complex plane is a mathematical representation of complex numbers, which can be thought of as numbers with both a real and imaginary component. It is often visualized as a 2-dimensional plane, with the real numbers represented on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers represented on the vertical axis.

2. What is the unit circle in the complex plane?

The unit circle in the complex plane is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin (0,0). It is used to represent all complex numbers with a magnitude of 1, and is an important tool in understanding complex numbers and their properties.

3. How is the unit circle mapped from one complex plane to another?

The unit circle can be mapped from one complex plane to another using a transformation function, which takes each complex number in one plane and maps it to a corresponding complex number in the other plane. This transformation function can be represented by a matrix, known as a transformation matrix.

4. Why is mapping the unit circle useful?

Mapping the unit circle from one complex plane to another is useful for understanding and visualizing complex numbers and their relationships. It also allows for the conversion of coordinates and operations between different complex planes, making complex number calculations easier to perform.

5. Can the unit circle be mapped to any complex plane?

Yes, the unit circle can be mapped to any complex plane using a transformation function. This allows for the exploration and understanding of complex numbers in various contexts and applications.