Mapping a Circle in the Complex Plane using f(z)=1/z

In summary, the homework statement is to find the mapping of the circle of radius 1 centered at z=-2i under the mapping f(z)=1/z. The Attempt at a Solution writes the circle in polar form -2i+e^{ix} and then inverts it and multiplies it by the complex conjugate. The result is f(z)=\frac{2i+e^{-ix}}{5+2i(e^{ix}-e^{-ix})}. Now, sure how to graph it our manipulate it any more, should I break it into real and imaginary parts? There is a hint that w=1/z and z=1/w. Where w is the
cragar

Homework Statement

What is the mapping of the circle of radius 1 centered at z=-2i
under the mappinf f(z)=1/z

The Attempt at a Solution

I write the circle in polar form [itex] -2i+e^{ix} [/itex]
Now we invert it and multiply by the complex conjugate.
so we get [itex] f(z)= \frac{2i+e^{-ix}}{5+2i(e^{ix}-e^{-ix})} [/itex]
now sure how to graph it our manipulate it any more, should I break it into real and imaginary parts?
also there was a hint that w=1/z and z=1/w. where w is the complex mapping. any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
Now we invert it and multiply by the complex conjugate
Well, we multiply by 1 where we write 1 as cc/cc. The denominator is now real -- perhaps you want to let it look a little more real (think goniometric functions) ? And for the numerator real and imaginary parts are easily separated...

[edit] I see that there's more to be had here (the image is very simple), but can't pin it down

Last edited:
thanks for your help, ok when i plug in sin(x) instead of the complex exponentials I get
[itex] \frac{i(2-sin(x)}{5-4sin(x)}+\frac{cos(x)}{5-4sin(x)} [/itex]
Not sure what to do from here, I could plug in points and graph it, but I thought this was to be something somewhat straight forward
to graph.

cragar said:
I could plug in points and graph it
I did just that and it inspired me to the [edit] addition. Just trying to figure it out.

I guess another way to try and solve it is using the modulus of a circle.
w=1/z. So the radius is one . So we have [itex] |z+2i|=1=|1/w+2i|=1 [/itex]
then we get [itex] |\frac{2iw+1}{w}|=1 [/itex]
then we multiply both sides by |w| and square both sides . Then I get
[itex] 1+4w^2=x^2+y^2 [/itex]
then I write w as x+iy, square it ans then equate the real and imaginary parts.
is this the way to go?

Don't know what the modulus of a circle is. Plug and plot (plod :smile:) gave me another circle as image ...

ok but how do I get to the circle with algebra ?

If ##z=e^{it}## then ##w=\frac{1}{e^{it}}=e^{-it}##. So as ##z## traverses the circle in a counter-clockwise direction, what is ##e^{-it}## doing?

with the negative sign it goes around the circle in the opposite direction., but when I put the shift in the -2i translation, it makes the algebra more difficult,
my teacher said using the modulus form of circle to make the algebra more clean and simple, but I can't quite get it to work. thanks for your help by the way.

Do you already have the equation of the image circle ?

I got it figured out, i just need to be more careful with the i and w . thanks for your help.

What is a mapping in the complex plane?

A mapping in the complex plane is a function that maps points in the complex plane to other points in the same plane. It is usually denoted as f(z), where z is a complex number.

What is the purpose of mappings in the complex plane?

Mappings in the complex plane are used to transform one shape into another shape, similar to how functions are used in algebra. They are also used to visualize complex functions and their properties.

What are the different types of mappings in the complex plane?

There are several types of mappings in the complex plane, including linear, affine, conformal, and holomorphic mappings. Each type has its own unique properties and uses.

How are mappings in the complex plane represented graphically?

Mappings in the complex plane can be represented graphically using a coordinate system with the real axis representing the horizontal axis and the imaginary axis representing the vertical axis. The mapping is then represented by the movement of points on this coordinate system.

What are some applications of mappings in the complex plane?

Mappings in the complex plane have many practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They are also used in the study of fractals, chaos theory, and other complex systems.