March 1st-the First day of Spring

• Thread starter rewebster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, according to the conversation, March 1st is considered the first day of spring by some, while others believe it is technically March 20th. The Russian way of counting seasons is to consider each season starting on the first day of the month, while the American way is mismatched with nature. The weather has been unseasonably warm and heavy rains have caused issues. Some confusion arose about the first day of spring, but it was confirmed by Vlad's wife that it is indeed March 1st in Russia. The conversation also mentions the beginning of Daylight Saving Time and a shift in the Earth's axis due to an earthquake in Chile.
rewebster
March 1st----the First day of Spring!

I've been waiting 1000's of seconds and minutes for this day!

Physics news on Phys.org

rewebster said:
I've been waiting 1000's of seconds and minutes for this day!
The first day of spring this year is March 20th.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/content/news/local/story/First-day-of-Spring-Daylight-Saving-Time-just/2y5PX1Xru0Wj1fpQQgdf0w.cspx

Last edited by a moderator:

Where is March 1st the first day of spring?

russ_watters said:
Where is March 1st the first day of spring?

My Armenian friend who moved to Moscow and then here says that in Russia it is. Though he may have misinterpreted the meaning. Then again, I may have misinterpreted his meaning. I will double check with Vlad and his wife in the morning.

Yes vochinch chigitem.
Ya niechevo nie znaio.

hmmm... Yes, the languages seem a bit different. There may have been a language barrier kind of thing going on.

OmCheeto said:
My Armenian friend who moved to Moscow and then here says that in Russia it is. Though he may have misinterpreted the meaning. Then again, I may have misinterpreted his meaning. I will double check with Vlad and his wife in the morning.

Yes vochinch chigitem.
Ya niechevo nie znaio.

hmmm... Yes, the languages seem a bit different. There may have been a language barrier kind of thing going on.

Has he seemed kind of angry as of late?

Just wondering. . .

Technically the spring starts on http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/EarthSeasons.php when the Sun crosses directly over the Earth's equator (Vernal equinox).

However meteorologists are stubbornly using still the Societas Meteorologica Palatina, which decided (in 1780) to consider each seasons to be starting on the first day of the month. Hence the first of March.

My roses agreed with that. I had to prune them yesterday

The American way of counting seasons is mismatched with nature.

From the astronomical point of view, it's most logical to place the beginning of spring halfway between Yule and the Vernal Equinox, and to place the end of spring halfway between the Vernal Equinox and Midsummer. That would place the first day of spring somewhere around February 7th.

However, Earth's climate is slightly shifted with respect to astronomical seasons. The Russian way (and the Societas Meteorologica Palatina way) is to place the beginning of spring on March 1st, which is less correct astronomically, but more correct meteorologically.

They say Xynthia visit will end spring for now here. Temperature already dropped and forecast says we may expect snow later today.

But the groundhog said...well, implied, that winter would go on until March 15?

Whom to believe?

OK, I just walked the dog again, and by 10am the temperature was 40 degrees and climbing in a bright sunny day. I'm not claiming Spring just yet, though, because some of our biggest storms traditionally come in March. Two years ago in March, if you looked over at our house from the road you could see the eaves, roof and chimney.

Spring is still a long way off, although the morning temps are 20F higher, last week every morning was around 9F, today was 29F, for you celcius people that's -12.7 & 1.6, respectively. And we still have patches of snow on the ground, I moved here in 1993 and I've never seen snow stay this long.

It's so unusual that complete strangers have turned to me in the store and said that they can't take the unusual cold any longer. I guess I must have that look about me that compels people to discuss the weather.

Evo said:
The first day of spring this year is March 20th.

[B][PLAIN]http://www.abcactionnews.com/content/news/local/story/First-day-of-Spring-Daylight-Saving-Time-just/2y5PX1Xru0Wj1fpQQgdf0w.cspx[/B][/URL][/QUOTE]

"The time shift also means potential crankiness..."

oh, oh

:uhh:

Last march, we had 2 feet of snow in 2 days, then 4 inches of rain over 2 days, and then another foot of snow.

What a wonderful month to have a birthday in! hahaha

since the earthquake in Chile shifted the Earth's axis 3 inches,

the other first day of spring (3/20) will come either a little sooner or later than the expected time

--but is it earlier or later?

We have been unseasonably warm for over a month now, and heavy rains have practically halted all wood-harvesting. Trucking logs is now forbidden on all but the most heavily-built roads because the road-beds are soft and prone to frost-heaves and buckling. Still the Western mountains have been getting snow instead of rain. Here is a shot of the Sugarloaf ski resort taken from the hill that I live on. While we were getting drenched last week, they picked up about 70" of new snow. Wardens and other rescue personnel had to search the mountain Monday to find a group of snowboarders that stupidly left the marked trails in white-out conditions to 'board the fresh powder. They spent the night outside, but thanks to the mild temperatures, suffered only a bit of hypothermia.

sugarloaf3-2.jpg

MotoH said:
Has he seemed kind of angry as of late?

Just wondering. . .

He was when I relayed the fact that he might have been confused.

He was not confused. The entire USSR recognized March 1st as the first day of Spring.

And he said he does not know who this "Vlad the Impaler" is/was.

Oh, you see the last person I heard of named Vlad was a pretty impaling guy if you know what I mean.

MotoH said:
Oh, you see the last person I heard of named Vlad was a pretty impaling guy if you know what I mean.

Vlad's wife confirmed the March 1 day of Spring in Russia. She's a native of Moscow.

She said she would check with her fellow Europeans at work to find out who observes what where and when.

It's spring! The Cadbury's egg commercials are on.

That's now I think

Happy spring everybody.

Andre said:
Technically the spring starts on http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/EarthSeasons.php when the Sun crosses directly over the Earth's equator (Vernal equinox).

However meteorologists are stubbornly using still the Societas Meteorologica Palatina, which decided (in 1780) to consider each seasons to be starting on the first day of the month. Hence the first of March.

My roses agreed with that. I had to prune them yesterday

Happy Vernal equinox everyone! Life is good, and summer is closer!

And the gorsh darn moon is ruining my stars!

It surely is spring. My garlic has sprouted and is peeking through the straw mulch.

17 deg C (around 60 deg F) today here. Some snow still didn't melt, but only stacked and in shaded areas.

However, when we were ready to say we are happy with the weather it started to rain :grumpy:

What is the significance of March 1st as the first day of Spring?

March 1st is considered the first day of Spring in many cultures and traditions. It marks the beginning of the Spring season, which is characterized by warmer temperatures, longer days, and the blooming of flowers and trees. It is also associated with the concept of rebirth and renewal.

Why is March 1st used as the first day of Spring instead of the Spring equinox?

While the Spring equinox is considered the official start of Spring in terms of astronomical events, March 1st is used as the first day of Spring in many cultures because it aligns with the beginning of the meteorological Spring. This is based on temperature cycles and allows for a more consistent and practical way of defining the seasons.

How do scientists determine the first day of Spring?

Scientists use different methods to determine the first day of Spring. Astronomers use the Spring equinox, which occurs when the sun is directly over the equator. Meteorologists use temperature patterns and consider March 1st the first day of Spring. Botanists may look at the blooming of certain plants or the emergence of animals from hibernation to determine the start of Spring.

Do all countries celebrate March 1st as the first day of Spring?

No, not all countries celebrate March 1st as the first day of Spring. Some countries, particularly in the Southern Hemisphere, consider September 1st as the first day of Spring. Additionally, different cultures may have their own unique ways of defining the start of Spring.

Does the first day of Spring always fall on March 1st?

No, the first day of Spring does not always fall on March 1st. The date can vary depending on the method used to determine it and the location in the world. For example, the Spring equinox can occur on either March 20th or 21st in the Northern Hemisphere, while in the Southern Hemisphere it falls on September 22nd or 23rd.