Can you help me with angular and linear speed applications in precalculus?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, Mark is having trouble understanding questions 33, 35, and 41 in Section 6.2, ANGULAR AND LINEAR SPEED applications. He asks for help from the person he speaks to on the phone and says that he has a David Cohen Precalculus Third Edition textbook. He claims to have forgotten most of the material from the course and is going through the course on his own with the help of the MHB and youtube clips.
mathdad
Mark,

Hello. I ask for you specifically because you have the David Cohen Precalculus Third Edition textbook. I am having trouble understanding questions 33, 35, and 41 in Section 6.2, ANGULAR AND LINEAR SPEED applications. Can you help me?
Can you at least set it up for me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it's section 6.2? In my copy, that section is on "Trigonometric Functions of Real Numbers."

MarkFL said:
Are you sure it's section 6.2? In my copy, that section is on "Trigonometric Functions of Real Numbers."

My apologies. I meant Section 6.1.

Okay, in my copy, problem 33 is as follows:

[box=yellow]33.) A wheel 3 ft. in diameter makes $x$ revolutions. Find $x$, given that the distance traveled by a point on the circumference of the wheel is 22619 ft. (Round off your answer to the nearest whole number.)[/box]

What is the distance traveled by the point over 1 revolution? How about over $x$ revolutions?

MarkFL said:
Okay, in my copy, problem 33 is as follows:

[box=yellow]33.) A wheel 3 ft. in diameter makes $x$ revolutions. Find $x$, given that the distance traveled by a point on the circumference of the wheel is 22619 ft. (Round off your answer to the nearest whole number.)[/box]

What is the distance traveled by the point over 1 revolution? How about over $x$ revolutions?

This is not the question. The question I refer to talks about the radius of Earth. Number 41 in my copy talks about two wheels connected by a belt. The radius of the little wheel is 6 cm and the radius of the big wheel is 10 cm. I like your posted question as well.

I am working now. I am not home. When I get home tonight, I will post all the questions I got wrong from Section 6.1 and, of course, show my math work. I just love my precalculus textbook. David Cohen is or was brilliant.

Okay, just post the questions...that'd be better anyway. :)

Ok. I get home between 12am and 1am. I will wait until tonight. It is really hard to work out math problems and work at the same time. For me at 52, math is just a hobby. Math has nothing to do with my actual job classification but I cannot get away from my wonderful David Cohen book for one second. I just love this course.

BTW, I took precalculus at Lehman College in the Spring 1993 semester and got an A minus. I took the course as an elective. This was a long time ago. I have forgotten most of the material. I am going through the course on my own with the help of the MHB and youtube clips. My goal is to learn precalculus well enough to do the same with Calculus 1-3.

1. What is MarkFL's Precalculus?

MarkFL's Precalculus is a comprehensive precalculus course designed by MarkFL, an online educator, to help students develop a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and skills needed for success in calculus.

2. Is MarkFL's Precalculus suitable for beginners?

Yes, MarkFL's Precalculus is suitable for beginners. The course starts with the basics and gradually progresses to more advanced topics, making it accessible to students with little to no prior knowledge of precalculus.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking MarkFL's Precalculus?

While there are no strict prerequisites for taking MarkFL's Precalculus, it is recommended that students have a strong foundation in algebra and geometry before starting the course.

4. Is MarkFL's Precalculus a self-paced course?

Yes, MarkFL's Precalculus is a self-paced course. Students can progress through the course at their own pace and have access to all course materials and resources for as long as they need.

5. How can MarkFL's Precalculus help me in my studies or career?

MarkFL's Precalculus will provide you with a strong foundation in precalculus and prepare you for success in calculus. This can be beneficial for students pursuing degrees in mathematics, engineering, or other STEM fields, as well as for anyone looking to improve their math skills for personal or professional development.