Identifying Material Density Using Buoyancy and Volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which a solid object is floating on ethyl alcohol with 68.2% of its volume submerged. The person is trying to identify the substance from which the object is made using Table 11.1, but is having trouble due to the lack of examples in their book. They also provide a formula for calculating the object's density based on its volume, mass density of ethyl alcohol, and force of gravity.
benzimm86
A solid object floats on ethyl alcohol, with 68.2% of the object’s volume submerged. Using Table 11.1, identify the substance from which the object is made.

ethyl alcohol has mass density of 806 kg/m
what is the other substances mass density

Physics news on Phys.org
my problem

the problem i amhaving is that all the examples in my book do not deal with anything of his type. they all have depth amounts, sizes and none of them deal with percents there for i am totally lost please help

Figure the volume of the object is V, p=density and g=force of gravity then the upward thrust on the object would be p(alcohol)*0.68V*g whereas the weight of the object is p(object)*V*g, it is in equilibrium since it floats
p(alcohol)*0.682V*g=p(object)*V*g
thus p(object)=p(alcohol)*0.682

I'm not completely sure about this as it is late in Sweden and my brain is all achy on me but I hope it helps :P

FAQ: Identifying Material Density Using Buoyancy and Volume

What is mass density?

Mass density is the measure of the amount of mass per unit volume of a substance. It is often denoted by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is expressed in units of kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

How does mass density affect buoyancy?

Mass density plays a crucial role in determining an object's buoyancy. If the mass density of an object is greater than the mass density of the fluid it is placed in, it will sink. On the other hand, if the mass density of the object is less than the mass density of the fluid, it will float.

What factors affect an object's mass density?

The mass density of an object is affected by its composition and the arrangement of its molecules or particles. The temperature and pressure can also affect the mass density of a substance.

What is the relationship between mass density and specific gravity?

Specific gravity is the ratio of the mass density of a substance to the mass density of water. It is a unitless quantity and is often used to compare the density of different substances. The higher the specific gravity, the denser the substance is compared to water.

How is mass density measured?

Mass density can be measured using various techniques, such as the mass/volume method, which involves measuring the mass of a substance and its volume and then calculating the density. Other methods include using specialized instruments like a hydrometer or a pycnometer to measure the density of liquids or solids, respectively.

Back