Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass is Energy Moving Faster then Light?

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    Wondering if any of you who are more competent in SR/GR than I am have seen this:

The arguments made in the video seem wrong on so many levels. In response to a comment I made I received this:

E = integral (p(v)*dv) is the most efficient interpretation of Energie. this is the correct interpretation mass appears from negativ acceleration from speed of light Energie depends only on speed relativ to c.

this formular can be simply verified if you take E = Integral ( p(v)*dv) p(v) = v* m*gamma(v) for gamme(v) = 1/sqrt(1-v²/c²).

E= integral( v*m/sqrt/(1-v²/c²))*dv) = [ -m*c²*sqrt(1-v²/c²)] from v0 to v1.

For v0=0 and v1 = c you get E=m*c². For v0 = v and v1 = c you get E² = m²*c4+c²*v²*m² ....for small v1 < c/10 you can see that the result will equal E=v²*m/2

Comments?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2
    That video looks like crap. It has just text, still images, and music.

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]E=\gamma mc^2 = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

His gamma factor is wrong......

If his gamma factor was correct, then for v approaching c, then the energy approaches 0......whereas the energy should approach infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook