Calculate Car Mass: 19,454 N Force at 201 mph Speed

• Thread starter math989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula F=m(a) to find the mass of a race car that exerts 19,454 N while traveling at a constant speed of 201 mph, 91.36 m/s. It is suggested to incorporate the force of gravity and use the formula W=mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration of gravity. The difference between weight and mass is also explained.
math989
Warning! Posting template must be used for homework questions.
A race car exerts 19,454 N while the car travels at a constant speed of 201 mph, 91.36 m/s. What is the mass of the car?

F=m(a)
I have no idea how to start this problem; I labelled out my given info but i do not know how to incorporate it into my equation. At first i thought to use kinematic equations but that did not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
math989 said:
A race car exerts 19,454 N while the car travels at a constant speed of 201 mph, 91.36 m/s. What is the mass of the car?

F=m(a)
I have no idea how to start this problem; I labelled out my given info but i do not know how to incorporate it into my equation. At first i thought to use kinematic equations but that did not work.

If by "A race car exerts 19,454 N ...", the problem means this is the normal force acting on the road surface due to the gravitational attraction between the Earth and the car, how would that affect the use of your formula?

Does that indicate that i have to use the gravity of the Earth for the "a" variable and rearrange the equation so that it is m=f/g?

Well, the car is traveling at constant speed, so there is no acceleration down the track. It's a simple calculation, so why not try it?

The 19454N is the weight of the car.
What is the difference between weight and mass?

Mass - simply measurement of amount of matter in a body, it is expressed in m or M.
Weight - Measurement of the amount of force used by gravity to pull that matter, it is expressed in W. Weight is mass multiplied by the acceleration of gravity.

Formula: W = mg
where, W - Weight
m - Mass
g - gravitational acceleration

1. How do you calculate the mass of a car using force and speed?

To calculate the mass of a car using force and speed, you can use the equation: mass = force / acceleration. In this case, the force is given as 19,454 N and the speed as 201 mph. You will need to convert the speed to meters per second (mps) by multiplying by 0.447 to get a final answer in kilograms (kg).

2. Why is it important to know the mass of a car?

Knowing the mass of a car is important for various reasons. It can help in determining the car's acceleration, braking distance, and overall performance. It is also important for safety reasons, as the mass of a car can affect its stability and handling on the road.

3. How does speed affect the mass of a car?

The speed of a car does not directly affect its mass. However, the faster a car travels, the more force it will experience due to air resistance, which can affect its performance. In this case, the given force of 19,454 N is likely a result of the car's speed of 201 mph.

4. Can you calculate the mass of a car using only its speed?

No, the mass of a car cannot be calculated using only its speed. The mass of a car is a physical property that is determined by its weight and the force acting upon it. Speed alone does not provide enough information to calculate the mass.

5. How can I use this information to improve my car's performance?

Knowing the mass of your car can help you make adjustments to improve its performance. For example, by reducing the mass of your car, you can improve its acceleration and handling. Additionally, understanding the relationship between force, speed, and mass can help you make more informed decisions when it comes to engine and aerodynamic upgrades.