1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of the Car?

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    • Warning! Posting template must be used for homework questions.
    A race car exerts 19,454 N while the car travels at a constant speed of 201 mph, 91.36 m/s. What is the mass of the car?

F=m(a)
    I have no idea how to start this problem; I labelled out my given info but i do not know how to incorporate it into my equation. At first i thought to use kinematic equations but that did not work.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If by "A race car exerts 19,454 N ...", the problem means this is the normal force acting on the road surface due to the gravitational attraction between the earth and the car, how would that affect the use of your formula?

4. Oct 2, 2014 #3
    Does that indicate that i have to use the gravity of the earth for the "a" variable and rearrange the equation so that it is m=f/g?

5. Oct 2, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the car is traveling at constant speed, so there is no acceleration down the track. It's a simple calculation, so why not try it?

6. Oct 2, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The 19454N is the weight of the car.
    What is the difference between weight and mass?

7. Oct 2, 2014 #6
    Mass - simply measurement of amount of matter in a body, it is expressed in m or M.
    Weight - Measurement of the amount of force used by gravity to pull that matter, it is expressed in W. Weight is mass multiplied by the acceleration of gravity.

Formula: W = mg
    where, W - Weight
    m - Mass
    g - gravitational acceleration

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted