Mass of the Milky Way through the speed of a planet

In summary: It was just an example of how you could introduce an assumption to try and find the radius.In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to calculate the mass of the Milky Way using only the speed of a planet (or star) in a circular orbit. The group agrees that without knowing the radius of the orbit, it is not possible to solve the problem. Suggestions are made to introduce assumptions, such as assuming the star follows the typical trend of orbital radius and speed, in order to calculate the radius and ultimately find the mass of the Milky Way. However, it is acknowledged that this may not be allowed in the original problem.
fawk3s

Homework Statement

Is it possible to calculate the mass of the Milky Way knowing only the speed of a planet in a circular orbit? I fail to see how, but if yes, then how?

Thanks in advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The planet would have to be orbiting the Milky Way in the same way that the Sun and all the other stars in the MW are orbiting.

The relationship between a planet and the star its orbiting has no connection to the mass of the Milky Way.

I did type planet, indeed. Let it be a star then for clarity's sake. Think you get the point.

well there's only one force acting on a something out in space (most of the time, let's just assume this is the case)

so if Fnet = Fg

can you take it from there?

SHISHKABOB said:
well there's only one force acting on a something out in space (most of the time, let's just assume this is the case)

so if Fnet = Fg

can you take it from there?

Well, in a circular orbit,
Fcentripetal=Fg

You are given only the speed v. The problem is how to get rid of the radius (r). Dunno how, and if possible.

What's the exact problem and what values are you given?

Find the mass of the Milky Way, when an orbiting star's speed is 220 km/s.

Im guessing there's no way to solve it then? Because a friend of mine asked me for help with this, and I immediately asked if she had forgot to copy down the radius of the orbit or the period of the orbit. She said it was not given, so I got kind of confused. I still can't see a way to solve it.

fawk3s said:
Well, in a circular orbit,
Fcentripetal=Fg

You are given only the speed v. The problem is how to get rid of the radius (r). Dunno how, and if possible.
Exactly. If you don't have the radius, then you can't get the speed. You would need to find the radius some other way, or introduce other assumptions.

What kind of assumptions could be introduced here?

for example, you could assume that the star fits the typical trend of other stars in orbit around the milky way, then you could work out the radius of the star. But from what you've said in previous posts, I am guessing you are not allowed any other information.

BruceW said:
for example, you could assume that the star fits the typical trend of other stars in orbit around the milky way, then you could work out the radius of the star.

Could you elaborate on this please? Seems interesting, but don't think I follow. What kind of trend and how do you work out the radius from that?

Thanks in advance

I just mean a trend of orbital radius and orbital speed. So for example, if a star has a certain orbital speed, then the trend would suggest a typical orbital radius for that star.

But your original problem was to find the mass of the milky way given only the orbital speed of the star, so this method would not be any help.

FAQ: Mass of the Milky Way through the speed of a planet

What is the mass of the Milky Way?

The mass of the Milky Way is estimated to be around 1.5 trillion times the mass of the Sun.

How is the mass of the Milky Way determined?

Scientists use various methods to estimate the mass of the Milky Way, including measuring the speed and orbit of stars and planets within the galaxy, studying the effects of gravity on nearby galaxies, and analyzing the distribution of dark matter within the Milky Way.

What is the significance of using the speed of a planet to calculate the mass of the Milky Way?

The speed of a planet is directly related to the mass of the object it is orbiting around, according to Newton's laws of motion. By measuring the speed of a planet within the Milky Way, scientists can calculate the mass of the galaxy.

What challenges do scientists face when trying to accurately measure the mass of the Milky Way?

One of the main challenges is the presence of dark matter, which does not interact with light and is therefore difficult to detect and measure. Additionally, the vast size of the Milky Way makes it challenging to accurately measure the orbits and speeds of objects within it.

Why is knowing the mass of the Milky Way important?

Understanding the mass of the Milky Way is crucial in studying the evolution and structure of our galaxy, as well as its interactions with other galaxies. It also provides valuable insights into the distribution and behavior of dark matter, a mysterious substance that makes up the majority of the universe's mass.