Mass Spectrum Analysis: Identifying Mass & Charge

In summary, the conversation is about how to identify the charge and mass in a mass spectrum. The formula for the relationship between mass and charge is given and the question is raised about the need for a reference mass in a mass-to-tof calibration. The terms and symbols used in the conversation are defined and the purpose of the conversation is clarified as being for a seminar. The main question is whether a reference mass is necessary for measuring a spectrum of a new molecule or if it can be calculated from the spectrum itself.
mikeb94
Hello everyone,

I'd like to know how to identify the charge and the mass in a mass spectrum. How do I get the mass corresponding to a peak. I know how they are related

p=\frac{m}{z}
p_1=\frac{M_r+z_1}{z_1}
p_2=\frac{M_r+(z_1-1)}{(z_1-1)}
z_1 =\frac{p_2-1}{p_2-p_1}
M_r = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{p_1-1}-\frac{1}{p_2-1}}

but do I need a reference mass for a mass-to-tof calibration or?

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, didn't know how to use Latex here ;)
$$
p=\frac{m}{z}$$ $$
p_1=\frac{M_r+z_1}{z_1}$$ $$
p_2=\frac{M_r+(z_1-1)}{(z_1-1)} $$ $$
z_1 =\frac{p_2-1}{p_2-p_1} $$ $$
M_r = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{p_1-1}-\frac{1}{p_2-1}}$$

Welcome to the PF.:smile:

Could you define your terms, and give us a diagram of the path of the particles as they pass through the fields?

Also, is this for a schoolwork assignment?

schoolwork would be nice, seminar for graduated ;)
mass $$m$$
charge $$z$$
peak in spectrum $$p_i$$
original mass of ion $$M$$

What I essentially wanted to ask: Do you need a reference mass (e.g. a bucky ball or a carbon atom) with a known mass for measuring a spectrum of a new molecule or can you gain this information only by some calculation (as mentioned above) out of a spectrum without any reference?

FAQ: Mass Spectrum Analysis: Identifying Mass & Charge

1. What is mass spectrum analysis?

Mass spectrum analysis is a technique used in analytical chemistry to identify the mass and charge of particles in a sample. It involves ionizing the particles and then separating them based on their mass-to-charge ratio using a mass spectrometer.

2. How does mass spectrometry work?

Mass spectrometry works by ionizing a sample, accelerating the ions through an electric field, and then deflecting them based on their mass-to-charge ratio using a magnetic field. The resulting mass spectrum shows the relative abundance of each ion based on its mass-to-charge ratio.

3. What is the purpose of identifying the mass and charge of particles?

The purpose of identifying the mass and charge of particles is to determine the molecular weight and chemical composition of a sample. This information can be used to identify unknown substances, study the structure and behavior of molecules, and monitor chemical reactions, among other applications.

4. How accurate is mass spectrum analysis?

Mass spectrum analysis is a highly accurate technique, with mass spectrometers capable of identifying particles with an accuracy of up to 0.0001 amu (atomic mass unit). However, the accuracy may vary depending on the type of mass spectrometer used and the sample being analyzed.

5. What are some common applications of mass spectrum analysis?

Mass spectrum analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields, including pharmaceuticals, forensics, environmental science, and materials science. It is commonly used for identifying unknown substances, studying protein structures, and analyzing the composition of complex mixtures.

Back