1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass-Spring Equilibrium Point: Affect on Position, Velocity, & Acceleration

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    Somehow I have become confused about the different parameters of a damped mass-spring system that follows:

my'' + cy' + ky = 0

When the mass-spring system is oscillating, but passing through its equilibrium position (y=0), the third term will be zero. And from the best I can rationalize, the acceleration is also zero at this point and the velocity is maximal. Thus the first term is zero and the second non-zero. So I am left with one non-zero term equal to zero.

Where is the flaw in my reasoning? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

So far, so good.
    The acceleration y'' will only be zero if both other terms are zero (or add to zero). As long as it's moving, there will be a damping force (second term) and thus an acceleration at y = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook