Massless free field equation -> Maxwell's eqn.

In summary, the conversation centers around solving the massless free field equation and its connection to Maxwell's equations. The participants discuss a possible typo in the book they are using and provide links to relevant resources for further understanding. Ultimately, they discover a mistake in the sign of t in the equations, which affects the outcome. Despite some discrepancies, the conversation concludes with a successful solution to the problem.
lark
Massless free field equation --> Maxwell's eqn.

The massless free field equation is supposed to turn into the empty space Maxwell's equations for spin 1 (like a photon).
But, in the book I'm using, Roger Penrose's "The Road to Reality", there seems to be a typo, because it's not quite working out. Almost but not quite.
Can someone tell me what the problem is?
See http://camoo.freeshell.org/33.24quest.pdf"
for details.
(sorry if you find it inconvenient to click on the link, but I'm not going to rewrite everything into the forum's Latex).
Laura

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Could you explain the notation, please.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

I can't help directly... but if this is one of his problems have you tried Penrose's solutions online?

muppet said:
I can't help directly... but if this is one of his problems have you tried Penrose's solutions online?
I'm the only one who has posted solutions to the problems in the 2nd half of the book!
Laura

reilly said:
Could you explain the notation, please.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson
It won't help if I explain it, I could be misinterpreting something and that's part of the question. I'm sure my calculations are OK.
I was hoping somebody would know how the massless free field equation translates into Maxwell's equations, concretely.

I think it's a little more complicated than what you're doing. First of all, there are two psi fields, one with two unprimed indices and one with two primed indices; each field must be treated separately.

See sections 34 and 35 of Srednicki's field theory book for an introduction to this notation (but with conventions that probably don't match Penrose's). The Srednicki book is available free online in draft form at his web page.

Avodyne said:
I think it's a little more complicated than what you're doing. First of all, there are two psi fields, one with two unprimed indices and one with two primed indices; each field must be treated separately.
I tried the one with two unprimed indices. It's supposed to work out to Maxwell's equations. It does almost, but not quite. That's the problem. Can anyone tell me what the typo is, that if fixed, would make it come out to be Maxwell's equations?
The worked out version is in http://camoo.freeshell.org/33.24.pdf and for example, eqn 7 minus eqn 5 in there, is [tex]\partial E_x/\partial x + \partial E_y/\partial y +\partial B_z/\partial z=0[/tex]. It wants to be [tex]\nabla\cdot E=0,[/tex] but it isn't quite. I'm sure I'm not making an algebra mistake, the problem is mis-stated or something.
Laura

Last edited:

lark said:
But, in the book I'm using, Roger Penrose's "The Road to Reality", there seems to be a typo, because it's not quite working out.

After looking at page 323 of Spinors and Space-Time V1 by Penrose and Rindler, it looks like it should be [itex]\psi_{01} = -C_3[/itex], not [itex]\psi_{01} = -iC_3[/itex]. This seems to give stuff like divergences and components of curls, but I haven't worked through the details.

George Jones said:
After looking at page 323 of Spinors and Space-Time V1 by Penrose and Rindler, it looks like it should be [itex]\psi_{01} = -C_3[/itex], not [itex]\psi_{01} = -iC_3[/itex]. This seems to give stuff like divergences and components of curls, but I haven't worked through the details.
I made that change. Now I get [tex]\nabla\cdot E=0[/tex] and [tex]\nabla\cdot B=0[/tex]. But the curl equations have the sign exactly reversed! So that if you reverse the sign of [tex]t[/tex], it works out right.
I understand now, I think. I got the sign of [tex]t[/tex] in [tex]\nabla^a[/tex] wrong, it's actually [tex]-\partial /\partial t+\partial /\partial x+\partial /\partial y+\partial /\partial z[/tex] not [tex]+\partial /\partial t+\partial /\partial x+\partial /\partial y+\partial /\partial z[/tex].
[tex]Laura[/tex]

lark said:
I got the sign of [tex]t[/tex] in [tex]\nabla^a[/tex] wrong,

Maybe the sign of t was okay, and the signs of the spatial derivatives were wrong. I think Penrose uses the + - - - convention for the metric, so raising the standard partials in [tex]\nabla_a[/tex] to [tex]\nabla^a[/tex] would put minus signs in front of the spatial derivatives.

George Jones said:
Maybe the sign of t was okay, and the signs of the spatial derivatives were wrong. I think Penrose uses the + - - - convention for the metric, so raising the standard partials in [tex]\nabla_a[/tex] to [tex]\nabla^a[/tex] would put minus signs in front of the spatial derivatives.
Well, whatever. It doesn't matter in this case :smile:
I put the whole calculation in http://camoo.freeshell.org/33.24.pdf"
Thanks,
[tex]Laura[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the massless free field equation?

The massless free field equation, also known as the wave equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a massless field in space and time. It is a second-order partial differential equation that relates the second time derivative of the field to its second spatial derivatives.

2. What is the significance of the massless free field equation?

The massless free field equation is significant because it is the basis for many fundamental laws and theories in physics, including Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and waves in quantum mechanics.

3. How does the massless free field equation relate to Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are derived from the massless free field equation by introducing the concepts of electric and magnetic fields. The equations describe the relationship between these fields and their sources, such as electric charges and currents. This allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena, such as light and radio waves.

4. Can the massless free field equation be applied to other fields besides electromagnetic fields?

Yes, the massless free field equation can be applied to other fields, such as gravitational fields and scalar fields. In fact, many physical theories, such as general relativity and quantum field theory, use the massless free field equation as a fundamental building block.

5. Is the massless free field equation a complete description of all physical phenomena?

No, the massless free field equation is a simplified model that does not take into account the effects of interactions between fields. In reality, fields interact with each other and with matter, and these interactions are described by more complex equations. However, the massless free field equation provides a good approximation for many physical phenomena and forms the basis for further study and understanding of the natural world.