Calculating Current in a Mixed Tissue Conductor: A Weighted Average Approach

In summary: You can't just add the conductors' cross-sectional areas together -- they are not in parallel.In summary, the resistivity of the whole leg can be calculated by taking a weighted average of the resistivities of muscle and fat, with the percentage of each being based on the length of the leg, not the cross-sectional area. This is different from treating the leg as two separate resistors in parallel.
ricebowl07
The conductive tissues of the upper leg can be modeled as a 35-cm-long, 16-cm-diameter cylinder of muscle and fat. The resistivities of muscle and fat are 13 Ωm and 25 Ωm, respectively. One person's upper leg is 82% muscle, 18% fat. The resistivity of the whole leg will be a weighted average of the resistivities of muscle and fat. This is not the same as treating the system as two resistors (one made of muscle and the other of fat) in parallel; the muscle and fat are mixed together, not separate side by side.

Part A

What current is measured if a 1.9V potential difference is applied between the person's hip and knee?
Express your answer to two significant figures and include the appropriate units.

Relevant Equations

R = ρL/A
I = ΔV/R
A = ∏r^(2)

I kept getting 7.67 * 10^(-3) A for my answer. My attempt to solve this problem attached to this post.

Attachments

• Homework 6.pdf
    113 KB · Views: 792
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello rice and welcome to PF.

I take it your question is: why is this wrong ?
Teachers instructions clearly state this is not the same as two resistors in parallel.

Teacher tells you to weigh the resistivities with percentage. Not the same as weighing 1/resisitivity by percentage !

Likes 1 person
Just in case BvU's response is not completely clear to you...
You have added up the currents. Currents add up if the conductors are in parallel.
Similarly, you have taken the 18% and 82% as percentages of cross-sectional area. You should be taking them as percentages of length.

Likes 1 person

What is "Mastering Physics Homework"?

"Mastering Physics Homework" is an online platform that provides interactive homework assignments and learning resources for physics courses. It is designed to help students practice and master the concepts covered in their physics classes.

How do I access "Mastering Physics Homework"?

You can access "Mastering Physics Homework" by purchasing a subscription through your textbook publisher or by directly purchasing access on the Mastering Physics website. Once you have access, you can log in using your account information provided by your instructor.

What types of questions are included in "Mastering Physics Homework"?

"Mastering Physics Homework" includes a variety of question types, including multiple choice, numerical response, and conceptual questions. It also includes interactive simulations and tutorials to help you understand and apply physics concepts.

Can I work on "Mastering Physics Homework" on my own schedule?

Yes, "Mastering Physics Homework" is designed to be flexible and allow you to work on your own schedule. You can access the homework assignments and resources at any time and complete them at your own pace.

How does "Mastering Physics Homework" help me learn?

"Mastering Physics Homework" provides immediate feedback on your answers, allowing you to identify and correct any misconceptions you may have. It also offers personalized study plans and additional resources to help you improve your understanding and performance in physics.