Mater and energy creation?

In summary, matter and energy can never be created or destroyed, but they are not interchangeable. Matter can be converted to other forms of energy and vice versa, but the total amount of matter and energy in the universe remains constant. The big bang theory does not explain the origin of the universe, but rather the expansion of it. Quantum mechanics does not provide an explanation for this law, and there is often confusion about the definition of mass.
Evenus1
how can it be that mater can never be created nor destroyed. I just don't understand
I was taught that both energy and mater can never be created nor destroyed yet they are interchangeable.
to me this sounds like a direct contradiction of its self
am I missing a major fundamental.
Evenus1

Physics news on Phys.org
Matter and energy aren't interchangeable. Rather, matter is a form of energy, but there are other kinds of energy than matter. Matter can be converted to other forms of energy, so it can be created and destroyed. Energy cannot be created or destroyed. The big bang is a possible exception--but we don't understand enough to really say.

is the big bang not beloved to be a dip in an multiverse plane of energy that caused an expediential reels of energy in a un comprehendible time span

Matter can be created and destroyed. Mass and energy cannot, however. And it's not that mass and energy are interchangeable, it's that a quantity of energy has a certain amount of mass associated with it, with the equation e=mc2 serving to figure out how much. For example, if I add 1 joule of energy to a system, the system gains 1.1126500560536 x 10-17 Kg's of mass.

Chemical and nuclear reactions are often given as examples of mass turning into energy, but this is not true. For example, if an atom decays and emits radiation, it is typically said that some of the mass of the atom has 'turned into energy'. But if we look at the atom prior to decay as a single system, and the atom plus the light after the decay as another single system, then BOTH systems have exactly the same mass.

a lot of people believe a lot of strange things about the big bang, but nothing is proven

Evenus1 said:
is the big bang not beloved to be a dip in an multiverse plane of energy that caused an expediential reels of energy in a un comprehendible time span

No, that is absolutely not what the big bang is believed to be. It's also a little off topic to talk about the big bang. Let's stick to the original topic please.

but (I am still in secondary school) does qm not explane this

sorry I am just really interested in all of these kinds of theories and do a lot of research into them but I sometimes come up a bit short

The big bang? No, QM doen't explain it. Mass-energy equivalence? I'm not sure how QM touches on that.

One source of confusion is that some texts give an incorrect definition of mass as the quantity of matter.

Evenus1 said:
how can it be that mater can never be created nor destroyed. I just don't understand
I was taught that both energy and mater can never be created nor destroyed yet they are interchangeable.
to me this sounds like a direct contradiction of its self
am I missing a major fundamental.
Evenus1
This law does not apply to the creation of the Universe. That is the beauty of cosmology.

1. How is matter created?

Matter cannot be created or destroyed, according to the Law of Conservation of Mass. This means that matter can only change form or be converted into energy, but it cannot be created from nothing.

2. What is the relationship between matter and energy?

E=mc^2, as famously stated by Albert Einstein, shows the direct relationship between matter and energy. Matter can be converted into energy and vice versa.

3. Can matter and energy be destroyed?

As mentioned before, matter cannot be destroyed, only converted into a different form. Energy, on the other hand, can be converted into different forms, but it cannot be destroyed. This is also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy.

4. How are new elements created?

New elements can be created through nuclear fusion, where atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier element. This process occurs naturally in stars and supernovas, but can also be artificially created in particle accelerators.

5. Can humans create matter and energy?

While humans cannot create matter from nothing, we have the ability to manipulate existing matter and energy to create new substances and forms. For example, we can use chemical reactions to create new compounds and use nuclear reactions to generate energy.