Material Inflation: Analysis of Intermolecular Forces

In summary, this material can cause fluids to mix and push their molecules apart, which may lead to weight loss.
vin300
I have observed that certain materials can drive fluids into themselves and push their own molecules apart, thus inflating itself. When, I try to reason, I'm not quite successful. Even if there is surface tension or under atm pressure, extension of intermol. distance is departure from equilibrium, which I'm not sure is supposed to happen. If it is already internally stressed, then it must also eat up surrounding air, but it does that only with water.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which materials?

A dry compressed bath sponge will expand when wet. Is that what you are taking about?

vin300 said:
I have observed that certain materials can drive fluids into themselves and push their own molecules apart, thus inflating itself. When, I try to reason, I'm not quite successful. Even if there is surface tension or under atm pressure, extension of intermol. distance is departure from equilibrium, which I'm not sure is supposed to happen. If it is already internally stressed, then it must also eat up surrounding air, but it does that only with water.
Are you talking about swelling of elastomers?

Doctors in the czech republic have demonstrated desirable results for weight loss using what reporters are calling "balloon pill". It is a pill that takes up portion of stomach volume thus enforcing reduced ingestion. Maybe it is termed swelling elastomer. I don't know, but what maybe the mechanism of action? Purely static pressure reducing density by driving out air until elastomer tension equals water force?

vin300 said:
Doctors in the czech republic have demonstrated desirable results for weight loss using what reporters are calling "balloon pill". It is a pill that takes up portion of stomach volume thus enforcing reduced ingestion. Maybe it is termed swelling elastomer. I don't know, but what maybe the mechanism of action? Purely static pressure reducing density by driving out air until elastomer tension equals water force?
Google "swelling of elastomers" and "swelling of rubber" for a description of the mechanism.

Here's a rough description of the mechanism. The polymer and the solvent tend to be mutually soluble, and, under ordinary circumstances, their molecules would totally intermingle. However, in the case of an elastomer, the polymer is cross linked, and there are polymer chains between cross links. These polymer chains act as little springs. So, when the solvent tries to intermingle with the polymer, it is able to do so only to a limited extent, because the structure is held together by the springs. The amount of solvent that the elastomer can take up is limited by how much the chains stretch. There is a balance between the driving force for the solvent molecules to enter and intermingle with the polymer, and the action of the chains (between cross links) to try to squeeze the solvent out of the structure. The net result is an equilibrium featuring a swollen cross linked polymer containing solvent molecules within its structure.

Likes diogenesNY
Some 30 years ago some vandals broke into an Army Cadet building and ate the contents of a survival pack. I was told the pack contained some sort of compressed oat biscuit that was designed to swell up and make 6 pints of porridge when mixed with water. So perhaps it was fortunate that they also ate the laxative chocolate.

What is material inflation?

Material inflation refers to the increase in size, volume, or shape of a material due to changes in the intermolecular forces between its particles.

How does intermolecular forces affect material inflation?

Intermolecular forces, such as Van der Waals forces and hydrogen bonding, play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of a material, including its size and shape. Changes in these forces can result in material inflation or deflation.

What factors contribute to material inflation?

Several factors can contribute to material inflation, including temperature, pressure, and the amount and type of intermolecular forces present in the material.

What are some examples of material inflation?

Examples of material inflation include the expansion of gases when heated, the swelling of polymers due to increased intermolecular forces, and the increase in volume of a liquid when cooled and its intermolecular forces become stronger.

What are the applications of studying material inflation?

Understanding material inflation is important in various fields, such as materials science, chemistry, and engineering. It can help in the development of new materials with specific properties and in predicting and preventing material failures.