1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material science

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I did Masters in Materials science and presently about to complete PhD in materials technology, to be more specific, thinfilm technology. I prefer working in Industry after this. Could you let me know the possibilities and any industries of interest?

Do I have more choice? :(

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2
    I would start by listing the current industrial/practical applications of thin films and also the current areas under research and take it from there.I suspect there may be many opportunities in this field.

4. Feb 5, 2009 #3

Thanks. Well my project has more industrial partners so obviously my work suits current applications but as far as coating only my lab is involved. I want to get clear picture in my mind about industries who might be interested. I mean I want some list and so it would be a motivation factor.

5. Feb 7, 2009 #4
    There is a lot of demand for scientists with thin film expertise. The big name semiconductor companies like TI or Intel do a lot of fundamental work in CVD and ALD. There are also semiconductor equipment manufacturers such as KLA Tencor and Novellus who specialize heavily in thin film technology. I knew a guy who was hired by Novellus to study PVD of tungsten nitride layers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook