1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Materials engineering vs Mechanical engineering

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    I am an student of Materials engineering I'm 4th semester. I have always wanted to develop airplanes (I grew up close to an airport). I know for some articles on internet that Mechanical engineering is closely related to aerospace engineering. Over the 4th semesters in materials engineering I get that they develop the material for the manufacturing and I want to be the one who builds from the scratch the airplane, the one who analyses every fact ( aerodynamics, design... and so on).

you might wonder why I don't major in aerospace engineering?, well, in my country there is no major in aerospace engineering (I live in Colombia).

In general :
    * I would like to develop airplanes
    * I'm so into the airplanes thing that I would pay for watching them taking off and landing.
    *I don't mind about the money, I just want to have enough to live comfortably
    * I think there is a lot of mechanical engineers and maybe that would be a disadvantage (in opposite to materials engineers- they are fewer people with that bachelor).

Which do you think works the best for the field that I want?, what do you guys think about these two careers?,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Actually, aerospace engineering is a derivative of mechanical engineering applied to aircraft and spacecraft.

Certainly, materials science/engineering or mechanics of materials is part of aircraft design.

What are one's interests, airfoils (wings), aircraft structure (wings, engine mounts, fuselage), propulsion, . . . . ?

4. Oct 26, 2014 #3
    I like the most the propulsion system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook