Materials for space applications?

In summary, the balloon was made of Mylar material and was used to redirect transcontinental and intercontinental telephone, radio, and television signals.
RICKYtan
So I'm working on this project for a inflatable solar sail (so a spherical solar sail) and we are really only verifying the deployment of the sail in space (from a cubesat)...We are doing a mock PDR and I need to find info on the sail we'll be using. My job is to find an "off the shelf" inflatable balloon that can be used in space. Traditionally, Mylar is used for solar sails. I'm having trouble finding a suitable product. Know of anywhere or a helpful search tool for some type of balloon that can withstand space?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I want to inflate a balloon in space, what materials should I be looking for as the balloon? My requirement is I use a cool gas generator for inflation...so I just need help finding an "off the shelf" inflatable balloon (don't worry that it needs a CGG) that is strong enough for space

RICKYtan said:
If I want to inflate a balloon in space, what materials should I be looking for as the balloon? My requirement is I use a cool gas generator for inflation...so I just need help finding an "off the shelf" inflatable balloon (don't worry that it needs a CGG) that is strong enough for space
There's no such animal as "strong enough for space". What it needs is to be strong enough to support the gas pressure inside it.

One thing you need to worry about is thermal considerations. VERY hot on the side facing the sun and VERY cold on the other side. You need something that dosn't melt or get too brittle.

Likes russ_watters
Hmmm, I presume you mean aluminized mylar to give it a mirror finish. Your challenge is to find material strong enough to hold up, but with as little mass as possible so that it can be big when inflated.

Before shopping, you should decide on some specifications for "suitable"

What is the required tensile strength? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_tensile_strength

What is the required mass per unit area?

Without those specifications, each and every mylar film is "suitable"

Your project also reminds me of Project Echo: It made a very spectacular show up in the sky. Later, France proposed a ring-shaped mylar satellite as a work of art. It would be so big, it would appear larger than the Moon as seen from Earth. Alas, that project was cancelled.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Echo said:
Spacecraft properties
Manufacturer
Bell Labs
Launch mass 66 kg (146 lb)
Dimensions 30.48 m (100.0 ft) diameter sphere when inflated
Start of mission
Launch date
09:39:43, August 12, 1960
Rocket Thor-Delta
Launch site Cape Canaveral AFS SLC-17A

The 30.5-meter (100 ft) diameter balloon was made of 0.5-mil-thick (12.7 μm) metalized 0.2-micrometer-thick (0.00787-mil) biaxially oriented PET film ("Mylar") material, and it was used to redirect transcontinental and intercontinental telephone, radio, and television signals.

1. What are the most common materials used in space applications?

The most common materials used in space applications are aluminum, titanium, and composites made of carbon fiber and epoxy. These materials are chosen for their lightweight and strong properties, as well as their ability to withstand extreme temperatures and radiation in space.

2. How do materials for space applications differ from those used on Earth?

Materials used in space applications are specifically designed and tested to withstand the harsh conditions of space, such as vacuum, extreme temperatures, and radiation. They also undergo rigorous testing to ensure their reliability and durability in space, as there is no possibility for repairs or replacements once launched into space.

3. What challenges do scientists face when developing materials for space applications?

One of the biggest challenges in developing materials for space applications is finding a balance between strength and weight. In order to launch materials into space, they must be lightweight, but also strong enough to withstand the forces of launch and the harsh conditions of space. Scientists also have to consider the effects of radiation, extreme temperatures, and microgravity on the materials.

4. How are materials for space applications tested?

Materials for space applications undergo a series of tests to ensure their strength, durability, and ability to withstand extreme conditions. These tests include mechanical testing, thermal cycling, radiation exposure, and vacuum testing. They are also tested in simulated microgravity environments to see how they will perform in space.

5. What advancements have been made in materials for space applications?

Advancements in materials science have led to the development of new materials specifically designed for space applications. These include advanced composites, shape-memory alloys, and lightweight metals. Additionally, advancements in nanotechnology have allowed for the creation of stronger and lighter materials that can withstand extreme conditions in space.