Navigating College: Majoring in Math & Engineering

In summary, the individual is currently in their first year of college and is considering majoring in either engineering or math. They are starting off at a community college, even though they have been accepted to a state college. They have some questions about which option to choose within a math major if they plan on getting a master's degree, and what a good second major would be. They are also wondering if they should start off at a community college or if it would be difficult to double major in engineering and math/science. They are also interested in the future prospects of a double major in physics and math. Some suggestions are given, such as actuarial science, economics, and finance as potential second majors to consider. Ultimately, the decision should
leon1127
i am so confused rigth now. This year is my first year of college. Now i am planning to major in either engineering or math. I am starting off at a community college my first year even though i have been accepted to state college (UT arlington).
Few questions that i have been wondering.
1) If i major in maths, what option (math, applied math, and etc) should i choose if i am planning to get a master degree and what is good second major (in science or business, depending how long it will take) with math?
2) should i start off at a community college (i aim higher than UT arlington)?
3) is it really hard to double major in engineering and math/science?
4) what is the future of double major in phy and math?

anyone have done that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know a couple of people who have gotten physics and math degrees in five years, and they typically have a very strong feel for physics because the math is a tool more than a barrier. Mostly that field will lead to theoretical physics, I would say.

If you want to couple math and business, actuarial science is an extremely lucrative field to enter into.

Ultimately, the decision should be what fits you. If you don't like physics, don't do physics. Don't go where the money is if you hate the subject, because you'll just end up regretting the decision down the line.

A math major complements many other majors very well. Engineering+math degree is possible, but a lot of work depending on the core requirements for both the engineering school and the arts and sciences school at your university. A math major believe it or not goes very well with every science physics, chemistry, computer science etc. Economics is also a very good other major to consider with a math major (and lucrative). Undergraduate economics is nothing compared to graduate level economics. Grads schools in economics want students with a background in calculus 1-3, linear algebra, real analysis, statistics, and more. Finance is also a very good field to consider with a math major(also can be very lucrative). The masters degree program for finance at my university is described as being very mathematically intensive. Just do some research on what you think you would like to do. Try to get as much overlap as possible with 2 majors so you will have to do less work.

Engineering+math degree is possible, but a lot of work depending on the core requirements for both the engineering school and the arts and sciences school at your university.

Dont you end up with a minor math in most american engineering programs? I know mine does. From there it should only be two or three more courses to earn a major.

yeah at my school getting a math minor if you engineer is a piece of cake. it is only like 2 or 3 extra math classes.

ktpr2 said:
Dont you end up with a minor math in most american engineering programs? I know mine does. From there it should only be two or three more courses to earn a major.
For a minor + engineering it seems to be about 2 more courses or so at most schools.

Beyond the minor in math I would think it is about 10-12 courses more at most schools for a math double major. I know at my school it is 11 more courses beyond a math minor for a math major.

To the original poster. Think about where you want to work when you graduate, or if you want to continue into grad school, this might be difficult to do at this stage. I would say pick one for now, since I'm sure a lot of the pre-requisite and core courses are the same for whatever you pick at this point. Eventually you will have to make a choice on which one to go with, but you've got a good year or two as long as both majors are similar since you are attending a CC. Goodluck.

Last edited:
thx for replying
but i don't want to minor in math, i rather major in it and minor in phy. i am really interested in solving math problems by calculus.

I just got accepted to UT Dallas this morning! So i am going there for sure.

I am probably joining their fasttrack program since I can earn my master in 5 years. It can be even shorter with my 22 hours credit and summer school. So my questions went down to 3.
Should I go for physics /engineering/Math?
If I go to math, what option should I go for?
• applied mathematics
• bio-mathematics
• engineering mathematics
• mathematics
• statistics

Should I go for FastTrack or double major in math and science?

Last edited:
leon1127 said:
thx for replying
but i don't want to minor in math, i rather major in it and minor in phy. i am really interested in solving math problems by calculus.

I am probably joining their fasttrack program since I can earn my master in 5 years. It can be even shorter with my 22 hours credit and summer school. So my questions went down to 3.
• applied mathematics
• bio-mathematics
• mathematics
• statistics

It really depends on your interests, man. No one can tell you to study Stats over applied math, etc. It's personal preference. Just google or wikipedia each topic and read about the fields involved in each -- and make your decision from there.

Well, if i was going to do it all over again, i would definately pick Physics with a double major in mathematics instead of structural engineering...

leon1127 said:
thx for replying

• applied mathematics
• bio-mathematics
• mathematics
• statistics

One idea is to pick one of those and take courses that count towards all the ones you are "considering". Like for example I am sure there are several core courses that both mathematics and applied mathematics majors have to take. There is more math besides Calculus so once you are exposed to other areas you will be better suited to be certain of your decision.

If it was me I would choose the "mathematics" option, this is of course is my personal preference since I am doing the pure mathematics option at my school. The 5 year fasttrack gets you a masters degree in mathematics? If so that is great, and it should prepare you for phd studies if you plan to go that route, which hopefully you do if you are studying mathematics.

Again I think once you take some courses you will have a better idea of what you really like.

1. What are some common majors within the fields of math and engineering?

Some common majors within the fields of math and engineering include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, mathematics, and civil engineering.

2. How can I prepare for a major in math or engineering while in high school?

To prepare for a major in math or engineering while in high school, you can take advanced math and science courses, participate in extracurricular activities related to these fields, and seek out internships or research opportunities.

3. Is it necessary to have strong math skills to major in engineering?

While strong math skills are certainly beneficial, it is not always necessary to have them to major in engineering. Many universities offer resources such as tutoring and study groups to help students improve their math skills if needed.

4. What can I expect from a major in math or engineering?

A major in math or engineering will likely involve a combination of lectures, hands-on projects, and laboratory work. You can also expect to take a variety of courses in advanced math, science, and engineering principles.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in math or engineering?

Graduates with a degree in math or engineering have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in fields such as aerospace, biotechnology, construction, data analysis, and software development. These degrees also provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in various fields.