Math book suggestions? Mainly calculus.

In summary, the individual is having trouble with math, particularly in the subject of calculus. They have identified their lack of studying and focus as the main reason for their struggles and plan to withdraw from their current class and spend time studying all aspects of math. They are also seeking recommendations for calculus and other math books, as well as study tips. Some suggestions have been given, including "Lectures on Higher Mathematics" by Pismenny and "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov. Additionally, they have been advised to check out the resources on Khan Academy and two specific books, "Calculus" by Stewart and "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Kreyzsig.
bettermath
Currently, I have failed multivariable calculus and will probably fail it again. Math is normally not a problem for me. One of my faults is that I always studied for the semester doing only the necessary things, then forget about them, causing me to forget basics for my current class. Studying last minute and getting C's. I'm going to try and turn that around. I'm going to withdraw from this class and spend the next few months studying all my math, including algebra and trig. Hopefully, I'll understand math better by next semester. So... Does anyone have any suggestions on calculus and other math books I should read? The math books my teacher have been telling us to get aren't really good. Also, any books on calculus based physics I should read? Any study tips? I don't know why I have such a hard to concentrating. Even in quiet areas with no electronics. What works for you?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are some great books, but in russian)
This is one, that very useful in russian non-mathematics universities: http://log-in.ru/books/16711 - "Lectures on Higher Mathematics" by Pismenny tells about main topics of math briefly but irrefragable.
If you want to read more sophisticated book and not very complete - no problem - http://www.booksgid.com/humanities/1895-v.i.smirnov-kurs-vysshejj-matematiki.-v.html
- " A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov is popular and refferable in all the world and I guess it's the best book at least because only in Russia it has kept 24 reprints... And there is english translation, input "Smirnov course higher mathematics download" in Google and get result!) I'm really suggest this book for you!
Some info about who was mr. Smirnov http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Smirnov_(mathematician))

Last edited by a moderator:
Two books come to mind:

1. Smith and Minton's Calculus- written by my undergraduate Math Dept. Chair, it is still the best problem-solving oriented book on Calculus (from derivatives of one variable through The Divergence Theorem) I have seen. It is probably not well-kown but it is a great book. And the examples solved are very challenging with beautiful graphics that really aid the material especially in Multivariate Calculus.

2. Kreyzsig's Advanced Engineering Mathematics— a classic book that is very physics-oriented. I was a math major and am a pure math graduate student, but despite the title, it is still appealing to me. Buy one of the previous editions for self-study for very cheap.

Are you undergrad. or graduate student?

1. What are the best calculus books for beginners?

Some of the most popular calculus books for beginners include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson. It ultimately depends on your learning style and preferences.

2. Are there any calculus books with real-world applications?

Yes, there are many calculus books that include real-world applications to help understand the concepts. Some examples include "Calculus with Applications" by Margaret L. Lial and Raymond N. Greenwell, and "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William L. Briggs and Lyle Cochran.

3. Can you recommend a good calculus book for self-study?

"Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex is a popular choice for self-study. It provides clear explanations and a variety of practice problems to help reinforce concepts.

4. Are there any calculus books that cover advanced topics?

Yes, there are many calculus books that cover advanced topics such as multivariable calculus, differential equations, and vector calculus. Some examples include "Advanced Calculus" by Patrick M. Fitzpatrick and "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba.

5. Is there a calculus book that includes interactive online resources?

Many calculus books now offer interactive online resources such as practice problems, video tutorials, and interactive quizzes. Some examples include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Calculus: Single and Multivariable" by Deborah Hughes-Hallett.