Math doesn't add up: stars + planets < particles in universe?

In summary: This number includes the total number of protons, neutrons, and electrons. However, when adding up the estimated particles in the planets and stars in the universe, the number is lower than the given estimate. This discrepancy may be due to mixing up terms such as atoms and particles, or not taking into account other factors such as photons. Further research and clarification is needed to fully understand the differences in these calculations.
Travois
I see they finally counted all the particles in the universe, it's10 to power of 80

They also counted all the planets: 10 to power of 24
and also counted all the stars: 10 to power of 24
and also counted all the atoms in the Earth: 1.3 x 10 power of 50

Good work everyone!

Now, I'm trying my hand at some of this math: multiplying atoms on Earth (10^50) * number of planets (10^24) * number of stars (10^24) which is 1 x 10^98...So I'm out by a tiny bit...please help me figure out where my math is wrong, or, why the discrepancy, or, maybe I've calculated an even more accurate number of particles in the universe!?

Cheers and thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
Travois said:
I see they finally counted all the particles in the universe, it's10 to power of 80

Good work everyone!

Now, I'm trying my hand at some of this math: multiplying atoms on Earth (10^50) * number of planets (10^24) * number of stars (10^24) which is 1 x 10^98...So I'm out by a tiny bit...please help me figure out where my math is wrong, or, why the discrepancy, or, maybe I've calculated an even more accurate number of particles in the universe!?

Cheers and thanks!

care to share the "reliable" source for this info ?

Thanks for asking...don't know..internet / google top hits.

Travois said:
Thanks for asking...don't know..internet / google top hits.

Surely you got the information from somewhere. Usually if somebody asks for your sources it's polite to give them the sources rather than to ask them to google it.

It's not really a bad problem you propose, but let's find some place where we can get some decent numbers or find out where your other sources may have gone wrong.

Travois said:
multiplying atoms on Earth (10^50) * number of planets (10^24) * number of stars
If you want the number of atoms in planets throughout the [observable] universe then you should not multiply by the number of stars.

Based on the figures given, the average number of planets per star is one.

Likes Travois
jbriggs444 said:
If you want the number of atoms in planets throughout the [observable] universe then you should not multiply by the number of stars.

Based on the figures given, the average number of planets per star is one.

--------Isn't that interesting that the estimate for planets and stars in the universe is a 1:1 ratio?

Ah, thanks, jrbriggs444, I was multiplying total particles of stars and planets instead of adding them. Here's my revised math, for curiosity's sake. I arrived at the right answer, or at least close enough, thanks for your correction.

All the numbers I'm listing are actually estimates, and the wording in my original question is also (attempting to be) humorous given the nature of trying to consider this sort of calculation. Sorry for any confusion there. Also note this is based on the finite or observable universe.

The main number I find fascinating to consider is the estimated number of particles in universe, 1x10^80 (http://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/numbers.html). Also:

"The commonly accepted answer for the number of particles in the observable universe is 10^80. This number would include the total of the number of protons, neutrons and electrons." Frank Heile, P.h.D. Physics, Stanford University. In Quora (https://www.quora.com/How-many-particles-are-there-in-the-universe)​

Compare that to the number of molecules in a drop of water, which is 10^23. (https://www.thenakedscientists.com/.../drop-water-contains-one-molecule-litre-water-eart...)

I'll open up / rephrase the original question again:

When I add up all the estimates for particles in the planets and stars in the observable universe, I get a lower number than the given estimate for total number of particles in the universe. Why is this? Where is my math wrong, or what adjustments are being made in arriving at this figure? Is it in mixing up terms in atoms vs particles?

Thanks for the correction jbriggs444. I was multiplying stars and planets instead of adding.

First:
Add together total particles in planets and stars:
Particles in Earth: 10^49
Number of planets in universe: 10^24
Particles in Sun: 10^57
Stars in Universe: 10^24

(particles making up a planet * number of planets ) + (particles making up a sun * number of stars)
(10^49 * 10^24) plus (10^57 * 10^24)
10^73 plus 10^81
which is still basically 10^81 (i.e. 1.0000001 x 10^81)

That's a little bit greater than the estimate. I'm close enough for immediate needs.

I've also seen 10^89 proposed, using photons in the estimate, I'm not sure how to explain that one.

Travois said:
I've also seen 10^89 proposed, using photons in the estimate, I'm not sure how to explain that one.

There are ~10^9 photons in the universe for each baryon. That's where this estimate comes from. You can arrive at this number by counting the photons in the CMB radiation and comparing to your estimate of number of baryons.

Likes Travois
Travois said:

Good work everyone!

Cheers and thanks!
It's not the number of planets times the number of stars. There aren't ##10^{24}## planets per star, but close to ##10^{24}## planets in the entire universe.

So a (somewhat) more reasonable calculation would be:
Atoms on Earth (##10^{50}##) * (number of planets (##10^{24}##) + number of stars (##10^{24}##)) ##\approx 10^{74}##.

However, there's another error in your calculation: stars don't have the same number of atoms as planets. Our own Sun, for example, has on the order of a million times as many atoms as the Earth. Since most stars are low-mass stars, let's assume that stars typically have 100,000 times as many atoms as the Earth. With this, we can completely ignore the number of atoms in planets, and just write:

Atoms on Earth (##10^{50}##) * star/planet ratio (##10^5##) * Number of stars (##10^{24}##) ##\approx 10^{79}##.

This gets us about as close as we could expect to be with this kind of very rough calculation. But there's also the fact that most of the matter in the universe has never collapsed into stars or planets, so that there's a fair amount more than ##10^{79}## atoms in total.

All that said, it's not hard to calculate the approximate number of atoms in the observable universe if you just make use of the CMB data to determine the matter density and from that calculate the approximate number density (to a very good approximation, the matter in the universe is 75% hydrogen and 25% helium), then multiply by the volume of the observable universe.

Likes Travois
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the mass of the [baryonic] interstellar medium fairly significant? I can't find an actual number for how much it is, but googling gives me a range from ISM being 5% the mass of the galaxy to it being the majority.

Likes Travois
newjerseyrunner said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the mass of the [baryonic] interstellar medium fairly significant? I can't find an actual number for how much it is, but googling gives me a range from ISM being 5% the mass of the galaxy to it being the majority.

This is what Chalnoth means when he says, "But there's also the fact that most of the matter in the universe has never collapsed into stars or planets...". Adding in the ISM will bring the 10^79 up to 10^80 or so, which is the "accepted" number. These are just order of magnitude estimates after all.

Likes newjerseyrunner and Travois

1. How is it possible that there are more particles in the universe than stars and planets combined?

The number of particles in the universe is estimated to be around 1080, while the number of stars and planets is estimated to be around 1022. This is due to the fact that particles are much smaller and more numerous than stars and planets, which are just a small fraction of the total number of particles in the universe.

2. How do scientists know the exact number of particles in the universe?

Scientists use various methods and calculations to estimate the number of particles in the universe. This includes studying the density of matter in the universe, measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, and observing the expansion of the universe. These methods allow scientists to make an educated estimate of the total number of particles in the universe.

3. Does this mean that stars and planets are insignificant in the grand scheme of the universe?

No, stars and planets play a crucial role in the universe. They are responsible for creating the heavy elements that make up our planet and other celestial bodies. They also provide the energy and conditions necessary for life to exist. While they may be small in number compared to particles, they are still significant and essential components of the universe.

4. Can we ever fully understand the vastness of the universe?

It is difficult for us to fully comprehend the size and complexity of the universe. However, through scientific research and advancements, we continue to gain a deeper understanding of the universe and its workings. With new technologies and theories, we may be able to uncover more about the universe in the future.

5. How does this information impact our understanding of the universe?

Knowing that there are far more particles than stars and planets in the universe helps us understand the true scale and complexity of the universe. It also highlights the fact that there is still much to learn and discover about the universe. This information can also guide future research and exploration efforts to further our understanding of the universe.