Math Grad School Advice: Questions Answered

Ultimately, grad schools are looking for well-rounded individuals who are passionate about mathematics, and your diverse academic experiences will only strengthen your application.
chaotixmonjuish
I actually have a few questions about grad school,

I transferred from a small college in the middle of no where to a larger midrange state university. I spent a year at the smaller college and I have been at this state university for a year and a half. I'll admit, I started majoring in math not really knowing what I wanted to do with it. For two and a half years I basically winged it. At the small college, I got Cs in Calc but a B in Linear. My calc credits didn't transfer (rigor of material wasn't equal), so I retook them and got a B- in both (I retook calc II because I didn't get a B-). So I realize it already looks bad that I took calc a few times. This semester I approached a teacher about Combinatorics, and we are meeting for a 1 credit hour class of just reading and independent study. After I accomplish that class he was going to help me with undergraduate research. I'm fairly certain that if I do well in my classes, I will end up with a 3.0 in my major. I've only really screwed around in my 100 and 200 level classes. I aced my algebraic structures class (a precursor to Abstract).

Assuming I do well in my 300 level classes, am I still graduate school material?Is taking a class on Partial Differential Equations necessary for Pure Math, differential equations was a bane?

Will taking a 300 level actuary class look odd on my transcript, I'm just really interested in what kind of maths they actually use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are still graduate school material. Your GPA is not the only factor that will be taken into consideration when applying to grad school. Your letters of recommendation, research experience, and other extracurricular activities can all help make up for any poor grades in your lower level classes. Taking a 300-level course in Partial Differential Equations is not necessary for pursuing a degree in pure math, but it may be beneficial because it will show that you have a strong understanding of mathematics at an advanced level. Taking a 300-level actuarial class will look perfectly fine on your transcript. It will demonstrate your interest in a different area of mathematics and your willingness to take on challenging courses.

I would advise you to take a step back and evaluate your goals and interests before deciding on graduate school. It's important to have a clear understanding of what you want to achieve with your math degree and how graduate school fits into that plan.

That being said, your past grades in calculus may not necessarily reflect your potential for success in graduate school. It's important to focus on improving your performance in your current and future math courses. The fact that you are taking on independent study and undergraduate research shows your dedication and interest in the subject, which can be valuable to graduate programs.

As for the necessity of taking a class on Partial Differential Equations for pure math, it ultimately depends on your specific interests and goals within the field. It may be helpful to speak with your advisor or other professors to determine if it aligns with your academic and career goals.

Taking a 300 level actuary class may not necessarily look odd on your transcript, as it can show your versatility and interest in different areas of math. However, it's important to ensure that it doesn't take away from your performance in your core math courses.

Overall, it's important to focus on your academic performance, research experience, and clear goals when considering graduate school. It's also important to seek advice and guidance from your professors and advisors to make informed decisions about your academic and career path.

1. What courses should I take in undergrad to prepare for math grad school?

It is important to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, real analysis, and abstract algebra. Other useful courses may include topology, differential equations, and numerical methods.

2. How important are research experiences for getting into math grad school?

Research experience can greatly strengthen your application, but it is not a requirement for admission. If you do not have research experience, make sure to highlight any independent projects or coursework that demonstrate your interest and aptitude in mathematics.

3. How should I choose which grad schools to apply to?

Consider factors such as the program's research areas, faculty, location, and funding opportunities. It is also helpful to talk to current graduate students or professors in the field to get a better understanding of the program's culture and resources.

4. What can I do to stand out in my graduate school application?

In addition to having a strong academic record, it is important to have a well-written personal statement, strong letters of recommendation, and relevant research or work experience. You can also highlight any unique experiences or skills that make you a strong candidate.

5. What should I expect from the workload and coursework in math grad school?

Graduate level math courses can be more intense and rigorous than undergraduate courses. Expect to spend a significant amount of time studying and completing assignments. The coursework will also be more specialized and focused on your specific area of interest.