1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Grad School Advice

1. Dec 23, 2008 #1
    I actually have a few questions about grad school,

I transferred from a small college in the middle of no where to a larger midrange state university. I spent a year at the smaller college and I have been at this state university for a year and a half. I'll admit, I started majoring in math not really knowing what I wanted to do with it. For two and a half years I basically winged it. At the small college, I got Cs in Calc but a B in Linear. My calc credits didn't transfer (rigor of material wasn't equal), so I retook them and got a B- in both (I retook calc II because I didn't get a B-). So I realize it already looks bad that I took calc a few times. This semester I approached a teacher about Combinatorics, and we are meeting for a 1 credit hour class of just reading and independent study. After I accomplish that class he was going to help me with undergraduate research. I'm fairly certain that if I do well in my classes, I will end up with a 3.0 in my major. I've only really screwed around in my 100 and 200 level classes. I aced my algebraic structures class (a precursor to Abstract).

Assuming I do well in my 300 level classes, am I still graduate school material?

Is taking a class on Partial Differential Equations necessary for Pure Math, differential equations was a bane?

Will taking a 300 level actuary class look odd on my transcript, I'm just really interested in what kind of maths they actually use?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted