Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math GRE subject test question

1. May 23, 2015 #1
    Let k be the number of real solutions to the equation e^x + x - 2 = 0 in the interval [0,1] and let n be the number of real solutions NOT on the interval [0,1]. Which of the following are true?

A) k = 0 and n = 1
    B) k = 1 and n = 0
    C) k = n = 1
    D) k > 1
    E) n > 1

Can anyone help me understand this? I'm thinking that the answer is B, because if x = 1 then the equation will be greater than zero, and the equation starts below the x-axis. So somewhere in the interval [0,1], the line must cross the x=axis. Hence B is the answer. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Maybe or maybe not. The real question is whether the graph of the function f(x) = ex + x - 2 crosses the x-axis outside the interval [0, 1]. If it does so once, then C would be the answer.

How do you know for certain that there is only one x-intercept? Hint: take the derivative of f.

Minor quibble: an equation is not greater than zero, less than zero, or equal to zero. An equation is a statement that two quantities or expressions are equal. An inequality is a statement that one expression is larger than, or smaller than, another.

4. May 25, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think it is simpler to convert [itex]e^x+ x- 2= 0[/itex] to [itex]e^x= 2- x[/itex].

Now, even a rough graph of [itex]y= e^x[/itex] and [itex]y= 2- x[/itex] will give the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook