Math major into a physics PhD?

• Programs
  • Thread starter amesoeurs
  • Start date
hey all,

i'm currently in australia about to go into my second year of uni. last year i did the standard first year physics and maths courses, astro II and a couple of philosophy electives. i'd always wanted to do physics but after taking the e&m course, i think i am a bit offput. i enjoy maths a lot more. so i hate things like fields, thermo, etc, but love quantum and astro. the former courses would be required for a physics major and i really do not want to do them.

anyway, to my point. would it be feasible for me to do the required maths courses for a maths major, still take the quantum/astro/dynamics/computational courses i'm interested in, and then do honours and my phd in some kind of mathematical based astro topic?

Answers and Replies

Pengwuino
Gold Member
You can't avoid those subjects. Not knowing thermodynamics and e/m and wanting to do astrophysics is not possible.

hey all,

i'm currently in australia about to go into my second year of uni. last year i did the standard first year physics and maths courses, astro II and a couple of philosophy electives. i'd always wanted to do physics but after taking the e&m course, i think i am a bit offput. i enjoy maths a lot more. so i hate things like fields, thermo, etc, but love quantum and astro. the former courses would be required for a physics major and i really do not want to do them.

anyway, to my point. would it be feasible for me to do the required maths courses for a maths major, still take the quantum/astro/dynamics/computational courses i'm interested in, and then do honours and my phd in some kind of mathematical based astro topic?
FWIW, I contacted the ANU astrophysics honours coordinator last year about the required background for honours and he said that a major in astrophysics and applied mathematics with a minor in physics would give a very good knowledge base for honours. At Monash they also expect you to complete at least a minor in physics. I don't know what uni you're at but you should talk to the coordinators of the astrophysics honours program and ask for the back ground requirements.