Math minor looking for course advice

• Programs
  • Thread starter amk0713
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course Minor
In summary: Pure math can be interesting, but it can also be a bit dry. I would like to do more applied math in the future and work in a field where math is actually used.
amk0713
Hello. I am looking for a little bit of advice concerning particular classes. I just switched my minor to math and need some information to help me decide on two courses. Which two classes do you guys recommend to take based on their general applicability to multiple other fields, overall utility, and "wow" factor? Currently I am registered for Calculus 3 and Linear Algebra. Thank you very much for any help. :)

>Linear Algebra
>Calculus 3
>Intro to Abstract Math (set theory, logic, methods of mathematical proof)
>Discrete Math (Mathematical methods of computer science and computer engineering. Mathematical reasoning, sets, relations, functions, Boolean algebra, combinatorics, graphs)
>Intro to Ordinary Differential Equations
>Intro to Numerical Analysis (Interpolation, quadrature, numerical solution of algebraic and transcendental equations, optimization)
>Advanced Calculus (Rigorous and comprehensive treatment of theoretical concepts of calculus. Real number systems, sequences, series, continuity, differentiation and integration of functions of one variable. Requires Calc 3 pre-req)
>Survey of Modern Algebra (Algebraic systems, equivalence classes, groups, rings, fields, unique factorization domains)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you only need two of those classes for the minor or do you need more? What do you want to end up doing?

If you can only pick 2 from that list, then you made the right choice. You can hardly do the rest of that list without at least Multivariable + Linear Algebra. Excluding those 2, it's based more on interest since all of them are quite useful in multiple fields.

Do you like calculations or applied fields (numerical analysis, ODEs, discrete, real analysis)? Do you like pure math (abstract algebra, discrete, real analysis)? Some have overlaps, but all are practically foundations in multiple fields.

Punkyc7 said:
Do you only need two of those classes for the minor or do you need more? What do you want to end up doing?

Yes. I only need two more classes from that list to complete the minor requirement. I plan to go into medicine, but decided to minor in math out of interest and personal enrichment.

Do you like calculations or applied fields (numerical analysis, ODEs, discrete, real analysis)? Do you like pure math (abstract algebra, discrete, real analysis)? Some have overlaps, but all are practically foundations in multiple fields.

Hmmm. For now I would like to study more applied math.

I would recommend taking Linear Algebra and Intro to Numerical Analysis as your two courses. Linear Algebra is a fundamental course that is applicable to many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It also has a "wow" factor in its ability to solve complex systems of equations and its applications in data analysis and machine learning.

Intro to Numerical Analysis is also a highly applicable course, as it teaches methods for solving mathematical problems using computers. In today's world, where data is abundant and complex problems need to be solved quickly, this course will give you valuable skills and knowledge. It also has a "wow" factor in its ability to solve problems that would be impossible to solve by hand.

However, if you are interested in pursuing advanced mathematics, I would also recommend considering Intro to Abstract Math and Survey of Modern Algebra. These courses will provide a strong foundation for future mathematical studies and also have practical applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory.

Ultimately, the best courses for you will depend on your interests and goals. I suggest talking to your academic advisor or professors to get their recommendations and to consider taking a mix of courses that align with your interests and have practical applications. Good luck with your studies!

1. What courses are required for a math minor?

The specific courses required for a math minor may vary depending on the university or college. However, common courses for a math minor include Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations. It is best to consult with your academic advisor for the exact requirements at your institution.

2. Can I fulfill a math minor with courses from a different major?

Some universities may allow students to fulfill a math minor with courses from a different major, as long as they meet the required number of credits and the courses are approved by the math department. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor to ensure that the courses you plan on taking will count towards your math minor.

3. Are there any recommended courses for a math minor?

Some recommended courses for a math minor may include Statistics, Discrete Mathematics, and Abstract Algebra. These courses can provide a well-rounded understanding of different branches of mathematics and may also be helpful for future career opportunities.

4. Can I substitute a course for a required course in the math minor?

It is possible to substitute a course for a required course in the math minor, but this will typically require approval from the math department. It is important to discuss any potential substitutions with your academic advisor to ensure that they will count towards your math minor.

5. How can I best prepare for a math minor?

To prepare for a math minor, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. It may also be helpful to take a pre-calculus course before starting the required calculus courses for the math minor. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can also be beneficial for success in a math minor.