1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math or Geophysics

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    Hello all, I am a first year physics major and I am hoping for some guidance. I am looking into careers that I would like and majors that interest me because I am still undecided on which to ultimately presue. I really do not want a job that is strictly in doors and nothing very interesting so I have been looking into geophysics, especially glacier physics because then I could do research in the arctic and be outdoors A LOT. But then again, when I do my math classes, everything just clicks. I understand everything very well. Granted I am only in trigonometry, but I am really good at math. I have not taken any of the physics courses yet but I am sure i will be good at those too. But maybe not as good as I am at math. With math I fear I will be inside all day. Do you think there will be enough math and such to satisfy my thirst in geophysics? Or possibly a exciting career in mathematics I should ultimately presue. Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Geophysics requires a lot of computer simulations based on mathematical models. If you go to work for an oil company you will also do a lot of field work.

But then most technical careers today use computers a lot!

One of my sons was a math major - he decided to become an actuary. He goes boating on his off days, but works mostly indoors. My younger daughter works outdoors a lot: she is a forester. But when she is working inside it seems to be all computer work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook