Math Processing Error: Solve the Mystery

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Merlin3189
  • Start date
  • Tags
    error latex
In summary, when viewing Latex formulae in Chrome, the rendered formula is displayed instead of the raw latex. Clearing the cache seems to fix the problem.
Merlin3189
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Anyone recognise this problem?
When looking at posts with (presumably) Latex formulae, I get [Math Processing Error] instead of the formula.
It looks like everyone else can read them ok and even stranger, I sometimes see the formula for a brief moment before it is replaced by the message. What I'm seeing is the rendered formula, not the raw Latex.
I suppose it must be some setting I've inadvertently altered, but what is it ?
I'm using Chrome and Windows 10 Pro on a 32bit HP.

Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org
Specific posts or any post with latex? Are you blocking any javascript or have strict firewall settings?

Thanks. Seems to be all posts. I'll check the Javascript - sounds a distinct possiblity.

At least we are not alone. I too am seeing the raw latex, lots of ##, etc. Been happening for ? months. JAVA is turned ON, many sites won't work at all when OFF. There seems to have been a change somewhere related to PF. I recently had a problem with an "Untrusted Site" that hosted some required file for showing icons, now this. (Old browser here.)

For now I've done what I should have thought of first, use a different browser. So I'm seeing things ok in Firefox at the moment.

In Chrome I checked Javascript was enabled, but Flash was not. Popups were also blocked. Enabling these didn't help immediately, nor after restarting Chrome, so I'll reboot the whole thing and see if it's made any difference.
(Sleep intervened.)
Even after a full reboot with everything unblocked, Chrome is still giving the error. FFox is ok.

Last edited:
The LaTeX formulas have nothing to do with Flash or popups, they are purely based on JavaScript.
Did you clear the cache?

Likes Merlin3189 and QuantumQuest
Thanks for that. When Javascript was already enabled, I turned the Flash & popups back on as they were the only things turned off!

Clear the cache? Well, I'll have to look at what that might be.
And sure enough Chrome has a cache for files and images. When cleared, formulae fine.

Thank you mfb.

Now, if I can find out how to do it, I'll thank you and mark it solved.

1. What is a math processing error?

A math processing error is an incorrect or inaccurate result obtained when performing mathematical operations. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as incorrect input, software bugs, or human error.

2. How can I solve a math processing error?

The best way to solve a math processing error is to carefully check all inputs and calculations to ensure they are accurate. Also, double check any formulas or equations being used to make sure they are correct. If the error persists, it may be necessary to seek help from a math expert or software support team.

3. Can math processing errors be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent all math processing errors, there are steps that can be taken to reduce their likelihood. These include double checking calculations, using reliable software or tools, and seeking help or guidance when needed.

4. What are some common causes of math processing errors?

Some common causes of math processing errors include entering incorrect data, using incorrect formulas or equations, using faulty software or tools, and making mistakes in manual calculations.

5. Are math processing errors common in scientific research?

Math processing errors can occur in any type of research, including scientific research. However, scientists are trained to be meticulous and thorough in their calculations, so these errors are less likely to occur. Additionally, peer review processes help to catch and correct any potential errors before they are published.