Math Proof: Uncountable binary sequence and a bijection from R to R-{0}

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a bijective function from R to R-{0} to prove that the cardinality of R is the same as the cardinality of R-{0}. For question 2, it is suggested to use a proof similar to Cantor's diagonalization argument and find a bijection f:\mathbb{R}\setminus \{0\}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}. The conversation also includes a discussion on defining f(x) for different values of x and finding a suitable function for the given problem.
iceblits

Homework Statement

Question 1:
Prove that the cardinality of R (the set of all real numbers)is the same as the cardinality of R-{0} by constructing a bijective function from R to R-{0}

Question 2: Let A be the infinite sequence of binary numbers as follows:
A={(a1,a2,a3...)|ai= 0or 1 for all i in the natural numbers}

Show that A is uncountable

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 2 I think I have to use a proof similar to Cantor's diagonalization argument for proving that the set of real numbers is uncountable. I think I have to use contradiction and assume that the set is countable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, for (2) you need to do something very similar to Cantor diagonalization.

For one, you'll want to find a bijection [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\setminus \{0\}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Hint, if [itex]x\notin \mathbb{N}[/itex], define f(x)=x.

I think Imay have misunderstood the second part. Isnt f(x) still f(x)=x?

iceblits said:
I think Imay have misunderstood the second part. Isnt f(x) still f(x)=x?

You define f(x)=x in (1) for all x not in [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex].

so {(x| x =/= 1,2,3,4...)} ?

iceblits said:
so {(x| x =/= 1,2,3,4...)} ?

Uuh, what do you mean with that??

Also note that I consider 0 to be in [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex].

gahh I am so sorry I don't understand..am I looking for a function that hits all numbers except for 0,1,2,3...?

iceblits said:
gahh I am so sorry I don't understand..am I looking for a function that hits all numbers except for 0,1,2,3...?

No, that's not what I stated. I just said you had to define f(x)=x for [itex]x\notin\{0,1,2,3,...\}[/itex]. You still need to define f(0), f(1), f(2), ...

But you have to end up with a bijection [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}\setminus \{0\}[/itex].

so how about f(x)={x+1 for the natural numbers and x otherwise) would that make it so that x is not in the natural numbers but f(x) exists for the natural numbers?

iceblits said:
so how about f(x)={x+1 for the natural numbers and x otherwise) would that make it so that x is not in the natural numbers but f(x) exists for the natural numbers?

That's a nice proposal!

yay...i can't believe it took me that long to understand what you were trying to say..its obvious now though :)

Just wondering if under that function, the preimage of 1.

Question 1: What is an uncountable binary sequence?

An uncountable binary sequence is a sequence of 0s and 1s that is infinite in length and cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. This means that there is no way to count or list out all the elements in the sequence.

Question 2: Why is it important to prove the uncountability of a binary sequence?

Proving the uncountability of a binary sequence is important because it helps to understand the size and complexity of the set of real numbers. It also has applications in computer science, cryptography, and other fields.

Question 3: What is a bijection?

A bijection is a function that maps elements from one set to another in a one-to-one and onto manner. This means that each element in the first set is paired with exactly one element in the second set, and every element in the second set has a corresponding element in the first set.

Question 4: How do you construct a bijection from R to R-{0}?

To construct a bijection from R to R-{0}, we can use the Cantor pairing function. This function takes two real numbers and maps them to a unique real number. By using this function, we can create a one-to-one correspondence between the set of real numbers and the set of real numbers without 0.

Question 5: What is the significance of proving a bijection from R to R-{0}?

Proving a bijection from R to R-{0} shows that the two sets have the same cardinality, or size. This means that even though we have removed all the 0s from the set of real numbers, it is still just as large and uncountable. It also helps to illustrate the concept of infinity and the different levels of infinity.