Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math question

1. May 9, 2005 #1

zy

I had carpet laid and it sells for 6.95 a sq yard the carpet is 29 feet by 11 feet. Can you tell me how to figure the price. There seems to be a discrepancy in what I was charged. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

[tex]1 foot=\frac{1}{3}yard[/tex]
    Thus, [tex]29f.*11f.=29*\frac{1}{3}yrd*11*\frac{1}{3}yrd=\frac{29*11}{9}sq.yrd[/tex]
    Can you take it from there?

4. May 9, 2005 #3
    Square Yards

There are 9 square feet per square yard. You might also consider that the carpet company may round up the figure because of scrap. You carpet for instance could have been cut from a piece 30 feet by 12 feet. This would have left a couple of pieces only 1 foot wide that they would be unable to use elsewhere so you would likely be charged for them as well.

HTH,
    Clay
    "There are only 10 kinds of people in the world --
    .....Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

5. May 9, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, think again.

6. May 9, 2005 #5
    1 square foot = 1/9 sq yards, true

but its different than saying 1 foot = 1/9 yards (false)

1 foot = 1/3 yards.

7. May 9, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Wherever did I deny that 1 square foot=1/9 square yard???
    I have used 1 yard*1 yard= 1 square yard.

Rather than posting stupid comments, read what has been actually written.

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  8. May 9, 2005 #7

zy

hmmm

so i go 29 x 11 / 9 and then I multiply that by 6.95 because if thats right be and that carpet fellow got some explaining to do! Looks like over charged me 100 dollars

9. May 9, 2005 #8

zy

yeesh

pardon my grammar LOL and a big thanks for the help!

10. May 9, 2005 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You should pay somewhat above 200 dollars, I think..

11. May 9, 2005 #10

zy

yes

Yes about $246 not including his labor. its only 100 dollars but it irks me lol ok thanks everyone. Have a good day.

12. May 9, 2005 #11
    Unless...

He may have charged you for a full 30 x 12 foot piece at $278. Did you notice if he has a minimum, like 40 or 50 sq. yards? Some of the carpet houses here have a minimum on the installation because they don't want to install small amounts like 5 yards unless it is worth the trip.

13. May 9, 2005 #12

zy

minimums

I don't know but in posting this I rounded up it was originally 28 ft 8 inches x 10 ft x 4 inches so I doubt he charged me for more than 29 by 11 Thanks!

14. May 9, 2005 #13
    But....

I think carpet comes on a 12 foot roll. If this is true I cannot imagine why they would not charge for a full cut across since the remaining edge piece would be a waste. As for the 29 feet they may charge by the even yard only of which the next increment is 30 feet or 10 yards. I have even noticd this at some fabric stores. I don't know that any of this is the case in your case, I'm just suggesting reasons you might look for. The easiest solution is just to call the store and ask them to explain the bill.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?