Math question

  • Thread starter zy
  • Start date

zy

9
0
I had carpet laid and it sells for 6.95 a sq yard the carpet is 29 feet by 11 feet. Can you tell me how to figure the price. There seems to be a discrepancy in what I was charged. Thanks
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
[tex]1 foot=\frac{1}{3}yard[/tex]
Thus, [tex]29f.*11f.=29*\frac{1}{3}yrd*11*\frac{1}{3}yrd=\frac{29*11}{9}sq.yrd[/tex]
Can you take it from there?
 
12
0
Square Yards

zy said:
I had carpet laid and it sells for 6.95 a sq yard the carpet is 29 feet by 11 feet. Can you tell me how to figure the price. There seems to be a discrepancy in what I was charged. Thanks
There are 9 square feet per square yard. You might also consider that the carpet company may round up the figure because of scrap. You carpet for instance could have been cut from a piece 30 feet by 12 feet. This would have left a couple of pieces only 1 foot wide that they would be unable to use elsewhere so you would likely be charged for them as well.

HTH,
Clay
"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world --
.....Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
2,208
1
1 square foot = 1/9 sq yards, true

but its different than saying 1 foot = 1/9 yards (false)

1 foot = 1/3 yards.
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
C1ay said:
Yes 1/3 of a linear yard is one foot but the question is about area. Now, isn't 1 sq. ft = 1/9 of a sq. yard?
Wherever did I deny that 1 square foot=1/9 square yard???
I have used 1 yard*1 yard= 1 square yard.

Rather than posting stupid comments, read what has been actually written.
 
Last edited:

zy

9
0
hmmm

so i go 29 x 11 / 9 and then I multiply that by 6.95 because if thats right be and that carpet fellow got some explaining to do! Looks like over charged me 100 dollars
 

zy

9
0
yeesh

pardon my grammar LOL and a big thanks for the help!
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
zy said:
so i go 29 x 11 / 9 and then I multiply that by 6.95 because if thats right be and that carpet fellow got some explaining to do! Looks like over charged me 100 dollars
You should pay somewhat above 200 dollars, I think..
 

zy

9
0
yes

Yes about $246 not including his labor. its only 100 dollars but it irks me lol ok thanks everyone. Have a good day.
 
12
0
Unless...

zy said:
Yes about $246 not including his labor. its only 100 dollars but it irks me lol ok thanks everyone. Have a good day.
He may have charged you for a full 30 x 12 foot piece at $278. Did you notice if he has a minimum, like 40 or 50 sq. yards? Some of the carpet houses here have a minimum on the installation because they don't want to install small amounts like 5 yards unless it is worth the trip.
 

zy

9
0
minimums

I don't know but in posting this I rounded up it was originally 28 ft 8 inches x 10 ft x 4 inches so I doubt he charged me for more than 29 by 11 Thanks!
 
12
0
But....

zy said:
I don't know but in posting this I rounded up it was originally 28 ft 8 inches x 10 ft x 4 inches so I doubt he charged me for more than 29 by 11 Thanks!
I think carpet comes on a 12 foot roll. If this is true I cannot imagine why they would not charge for a full cut across since the remaining edge piece would be a waste. As for the 29 feet they may charge by the even yard only of which the next increment is 30 feet or 10 yards. I have even noticd this at some fabric stores. I don't know that any of this is the case in your case, I'm just suggesting reasons you might look for. The easiest solution is just to call the store and ask them to explain the bill.
 

Related Threads for: Math question

  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
512
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
3K
Top