Math requirement for Modern physics by Kenneth Krane?

In summary, to thoroughly understand everything in this textbook on Modern Physics by Kenneth S. Krane, a person should have a basic understanding of calculus-based courses in mechanics, electromagnetism, thermal physics, and optics. Familiarity with topics such as partial derivatives, complex variables, and differential equations would be helpful, but not necessary. This course is usually taken by second-year physics majors and typically requires a background in Calculus I, II, and III, with III being a co-requisite rather than a pre-requisite.
unsung-hero
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the preface to Krane's book:

Krane said:
Necessary prerequisites for undertaking the text include any standard calculus-based course covering mechanics, electromagnetism, thermal physics, and optics. Calculus is used extensively, but no previous knowledge of differential equations, complex variables, or partial derivatives is assumed (although some familiarity with these topics would be helpful).

I've never used Krane myself, but I taught an intro modern physics course for many years using two other similar books: Beiser (now apparently out of print) and Taylor/Zafiratos/Dubson. Those books introduced or reviewed basic concepts of partial derivatives, complex numbers and differential equations as needed. It obviously makes things easier if you've studied those topics before, but you do not need, for example, a full course in differential equations. A course like this one does not use the rigorous methods of solving differential equations that you learn in a DE course. It's much more a matter of "guess the solution and try it to see if it works."

In terms of a typical undergraduate curriculum in the US, this course is usually taken by second-year physics majors. Typical prerequisites are a two-semester calculus-based introductory (classical) physics course, and Calculus I, II and III, with III being maybe a co-requisite rather than a pre-requisite. The main things that you will use from Calculus III are partial derivatives and volume integrals. You will use spherical coordinates when you study the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen atom.

1. What is the math requirement for studying Modern Physics by Kenneth Krane?

The math requirement for studying Modern Physics by Kenneth Krane varies depending on the level of understanding and depth of knowledge required for the specific topics covered. However, a strong foundation in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra is typically necessary.

2. Can I study Modern Physics without a strong math background?

While a strong math background is highly recommended for studying Modern Physics, it is not impossible to learn the subject without it. However, it may require more effort and dedication to fully grasp the concepts and equations.

3. Are there any specific math topics that are essential for understanding Modern Physics?

Yes, some important math topics for understanding Modern Physics include vector calculus, complex numbers, and differential equations. These concepts are often used to describe and solve problems in Modern Physics.

4. How can I improve my math skills for studying Modern Physics?

One way to improve your math skills for studying Modern Physics is by practicing regularly and seeking help from a tutor or teacher if needed. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the specific math concepts and equations used in Modern Physics can also be beneficial.

5. Is there a recommended textbook for learning the math required for Modern Physics?

While there is no specific textbook recommended for learning the math required for Modern Physics, some popular choices include "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Arfken and Weber, and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. However, any textbook that covers the necessary topics in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra can be useful.