Modern Physics -Math Concept

In summary: That is probably where your mistake is. In summary, the problem involves an atom of mass m moving in the x direction with speed v colliding elastically with an atom of mass 3m at rest. After the collision, the first atom moves in the y direction. The task is to find the direction of motion of the second atom and the speeds of both atoms in terms of v after the collision. There is a disagreement on a math step in the solution provided on cramster, where the equation 9v^{2}_{x}cos^{2}(x)+9v^{2}_{y}cos^{2}(x) is reduced to 9v^{2}, which is incorrect according to the original equation. It is suggested
Fellowroot

Homework Statement

This problem is from Modern Physics by Kenneth Krane 2nd ED

The problem is:

An atom of mass m moving in the x direction with speed v collides elastically with an atom of mass 3m at rest. After the collision the first atom moves in the y direction. Find the direction of motion of the second atom and the speeds of both atoms in terms of v after the collision.

Now my question is not how to solve this problem, it is to try and understand a math step involved in this problem from a solution off of cramster.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

On cramster they reduce this:

9v[itex]^{2}_{}[/itex]cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](x)+9v[itex]^{2}_{}[/itex]cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](x)

to this:

9v[itex]^{2}[/itex]

But when I did the problem and got down to their step I have this:

9v[itex]^{2}_{x}[/itex]cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](x)+9v[itex]^{2}_{y}[/itex]cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](x)

Those velocities are different components an x and a y, which they neglected to distinguish on cramster.

I know that:

3cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](x) + 3sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](x) = 3

But I don't see how they came to their conclusion because the x and y components could be different.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your equation is correct, you're right that it can't be reduced. Show us how you got your equation.

There is about 3 pages of work to get to that equation but I don't think I have made a mistake. So its pretty hard to post it. Also if I go by their solution they actually get the correct answer in the end but at the same time I'm very sure that they are indeed two different components. Thanks though.

Well, I'll just say your equation looks wrong. You almost always get vx or v cos θ, not the combination vxcos θ. Similarly, for the y-component.

I would first like to acknowledge that understanding the math steps involved in a problem is crucial to fully understanding the concepts of modern physics. It is important to note that the solution provided on cramster may not be the only correct solution and it is always beneficial to cross-check with other sources.

In this case, it seems that the solution on cramster may have made a simplification assuming that the velocities in the x and y directions are equal, leading to the reduction of the equation to 9v^2. This is not necessarily true and it is important to consider the components of velocity separately in order to accurately solve the problem.

It is always important to carefully examine and understand each step of a solution in order to fully grasp the concepts being taught. If you are having trouble understanding a particular step, it may be helpful to consult with your instructor or a peer for further clarification. Additionally, exploring different resources and approaches to solving the problem can also aid in understanding the material.

1. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics is the study of motion and forces on a macroscopic scale while modern physics focuses on the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale, including the concepts of quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. What is the role of math in modern physics?

Math is crucial in modern physics as it provides a precise and quantitative description of natural phenomena. It allows scientists to make predictions, analyze data, and develop theories to explain complex physical phenomena.

3. What are some important mathematical concepts used in modern physics?

Some important mathematical concepts used in modern physics include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and vector calculus. These are used to describe motion, energy, forces, and other fundamental physical quantities.

4. How has math influenced the development of modern physics?

Math has played a critical role in the development of modern physics. Many fundamental theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, were developed using mathematical equations. The use of math has also allowed scientists to make precise predictions and advancements in fields such as astrophysics and particle physics.

5. Is a strong background in math necessary for understanding modern physics?

A strong background in math is essential for understanding modern physics. Many concepts and theories in modern physics require a deep understanding of mathematical principles to fully grasp. Without a strong foundation in math, it can be challenging to comprehend the complexities of modern physics.