Exploring REU Opportunities: Join the Discussion

In summary: I heard that all spots were filled by Sunday night, so I'm not sure if Small makes offers in a certain order.I heard that all spots were filled by Sunday night, so I'm not sure if Small makes offers in a certain order.
MathNUT said:
I got into Penn too!
Does anyone know how the program compares to other programs? And what exactly are the topics at Penn? The website isn't very explicit. Thanks.

Congratulations! I also got into Penn and am wondering about the same things.
Does anyone know how many students they let in? It seems like its a much bigger program than some of the others.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Penn is considered one of the top programs, and MASS sounds really worth while. Congrats to you both!

I went to Penn State last summer but didn't stay for MASS. I don't remember the exact numbers, but there were quite a few of us who didn't stay for MASS (and quite a few who did--the people who stayed for MASS all really liked it as well).

It was a really great and fun summer. The apartments they put us in (the Nittany apartments) were especially nice--much more than I was expecting. And State College (the town) has lots of things to do within reasonable walking distance.

@R.P.F.:

I go to a research university.

sutupidmath said:
Has anyone heard back from Park City Summer Institute? It is not an REU, but i think someone here said that they applied, so I'm just curious?

Yep got an offer from them on Wednesday! And one from Utah the day before. I wonder if they do try and accept participants for both. But they do say on the website something about answers in April and I had emailed them to find out.

In any case seeing as SMALL/Cornell have offered me spots, I don't think I'll be attending PCMI.

I guess everyone here knows this information, but for any possibly newbies wanting to know what's going on, here is a link that links all REU's:

http://www.math.uga.edu/undergraduate/reu.html

Also, I have been at the PCMI summer program several times and it is my favorite math program for its atmosphere, conducive to actually learning something. Maybe all REU's have a great atmosphere, but the PCMI meetings combine high school teachers, undergrads, grad students, and researchers in the same setting. Its like a school where you pick your own classes to attend, but you all eat lunch together and get acquainted with people from the other programs. Then there are programs that are intended to be accessible to everyone and also social events and hikes. I made some friends at this program I still have contact with from time to time. The quality of instruction is just superb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an offer from NC State!

They want a reply by next Friday though - I hope I'll hear from a few more places before then, as this honestly isn't one of my top choices...

I applied UCLA RIPS too and they told me last week that they will give out offers this week and early next week. *fingers crossed*..
Also anyone applied WPI? and Rice TCN REU?

I was offered and accepted a position at the Penn State REU and MASS program, haven't heard back from the several others I applied to though.

Has anyone here done this program? What did you think of it?

How good do REUs look on Grad School Apps? Are some programs better than others? How can I tell which ones are better?

Anyone hear from UNCG?

Also, I already have an offer from UCSB, but I'm not sure whether to accept it or not. I kind of want to hear back from other places, but they want me to decide by Tuesday :frown:

belle said:
I'm waiting for Potsdam and Rose-Hulman as well... No word yet.

Yeah I haven't heard from Potsdam either, ughhhh dfhkgsadfgasdfsdlufgd

markiv said:
Anyone hear from UNCG?

Also, I already have an offer from UCSB, but I'm not sure whether to accept it or not. I kind of want to hear back from other places, but they want me to decide by Tuesday :frown:

Is that Santa Barbara or San Bernardino?

Newtime said:
Is that Santa Barbara or San Bernardino?

Santa Barbara

markiv said:
Santa Barbara

Damn, I was hoping to get an offer from them. Oh well

Jeez. This is my first time applying to REUs, and I am disappoint with the process. It seems so unorganized. I wish they could just let you know on a specific date as to whether you're in or not.

zpconn, what was your research like at Penn State? Was it meaningful?

Has anyone heard from Indiana, Mount Holyoke or UC San Bernardino recently?

lilli said:
Yep got an offer from them on Wednesday! And one from Utah the day before. I wonder if they do try and accept participants for both. But they do say on the website something about answers in April and I had emailed them to find out.

In any case seeing as SMALL/Cornell have offered me spots, I don't think I'll be attending PCMI.

Congratulations man! I just got a rejection from them today, so I'm very discouraged now. May you send me your math resume so I can take a look to improve my future credentials? I'm surprised that having a paper accepted for publication on a journal doesn't help much, at least compared to the number of courseworks I have to take before applying to these REUs.

ghjk said:
Congratulations man! I just got a rejection from them today, so I'm very discouraged now. .

I can sympathize with you...got rejected from them today too...and I too am the co-author of a submitted paper, and I like to think that I have a decent math background too( including two graduate level courses)...Sigh

mathwonk said:
I guess everyone here knows this information, but for any possibly newbies wanting to know what's going on, here is a link that links all REU's:

http://www.math.uga.edu/undergraduate/reu.html

Also, I have been at the PCMI summer program several times and it is my favorite math program for its atmosphere, conducive to actually learning something. Maybe all REU's have a great atmosphere, but the PCMI meetings combine high school teachers, undergrads, grad students, and researchers in the same setting. Its like a school where you pick your own classes to attend, but you all eat lunch together and get acquainted with people from the other programs. Then there are programs that are intended to be accessible to everyone and also social events and hikes. I made some friends at this program I still have contact with from time to time. The quality of instruction is just superb.

Do you know how many undergraduates are there in the pcmi program? :) thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
For people who've done REUs in the past, were you expected to prepare a ton before the summer starts? Should I read some papers on my topic and study math that would be relevant to it right now, or should I wait for the professor in charge of the project to tell me what to do?

gocubs: Usually the first few weeks are devoted to properly introducing the problem, and giving you the required background. But if your advisor in the REU program has anything for you to read ahead of time, it will allow you to start thinking about the research problem itself sooner, so it's definitely a good idea to ask.

But you shouldn't try to read anything unless it is recommended to you, because that has the potential to be a monumental waste of time. The reason you have an advisor in an REU program is because you start out having no idea what's going on, and no clue how to find out relevant information.

I heard back and got accepted to SUNY Potsdam today for their analysis group. All applicants have to respond definitively by next Monday.

I also heard back from SUNY for the group theory project.
Rose-Hulman has sent out offers as well.

Can anybody give their experiences in the LSU REU or the William and Mary REU?

people who applied UCLA RIPS, have you got any news yet?

Has anyone heard from any of the following REUs: Indiana Bloomington, Kent State, James Madison, Bard College, BYU, East Tennessee State, Penn State, Orion University, Central Michigan, Kansas State, University of Wyoming.

I did REU at bard college last summer, I got the result like around late April!

rahh said:
Has anyone heard from any of the following REUs: Indiana Bloomington, Kent State, James Madison, Bard College, BYU, East Tennessee State, Penn State, Orion University, Central Michigan, Kansas State, University of Wyoming.

I did an REU at BYU...I was notified late March...I had a great experience!

azsxder said:
Can anybody give their experiences in the LSU REU or the William and Mary REU?

Hey have you already heard back from William and Mary?

azrail911 said:

I think they are sending out offers this week and next week..
and yes I'm also waiting for RIPS. Apparently a lot of offers have already been sent out..:(

R.P.F. said:
Hey have you already heard back from William and Mary?

I think they are sending out offers this week and next week..
and yes I'm also waiting for RIPS. Apparently a lot of offers have already been sent out..:(

:( let's hope for the best. RIPS seems like an awesome program

So anybody here going to LSU REU?

rahh said:

I got waitlisted for James Madision. Also applied to Bard, but haven't heard anything.

Anyone heard from:
* Rochester Institute of Technology
* UNC Asheville
* Oregon State
* Cornell
* Grand Valley State
* Hope College
* Bard College

I also applied to some comp sci programs at Binghamton University, UMass - Amherst, WSU, Harvey Mudd, UIUC. Did anyone here apply to these? Heard anything?

Last edited:
math.py said:
I got waitlisted for James Madision. Also applied to Bard, but haven't heard anything.

Anyone heard from:
* Rochester Institute of Technology
* UNC Asheville
* Oregon State
* Cornell
* Grand Valley State
* Hope College
* Bard College

I also applied to some comp sci programs at Binghamton University, UMass - Amherst, WSU, Harvey Mudd, UIUC. Did anyone here apply to these? Heard anything?

I think a few people have gotten offers from Cornell (check on the first couple of pages).

Has anyone heard from Mount Holyoke or Indiana?

azrail911 said:

How was your experience? What did you work on? This is one of the few programs who's project descriptions I was somewhat intimidated by. I applied to this year's Supersymmetry, Graphs, and Codes project.